Roger Creager – “A Good Day For Sunsets”
Songwriters: Radney Foster and Roger Creager.
Roger Creager has developed quite the cult following around his home base of College Station, Texas–and for good reason: His unique blend of Texas country, rock, Latin and Red Dirt music is upstaged only by the incredible way he works a crowd and the rabid fan base that flocks to his more than 150 shows each year.
Unfortunately, I’m a couple thousand miles away from any live Lone Star show Creager may be rocking tonight, and his latest single “A Good Day for Sunsets” gives me no reason to start packing for a cross-country trip.
The song follows the prototypical “always a best friend, never a boyfriend” on a quest to win over a heartbroken woman who is on the rebound. The answer is, of course, to go on a fix-it-all road trip similar to Rockie Lynne’s more engaging Top 30 hit “Lipstick.” The song’s premise rests upon the linked imagery of sunsets and romance; but just in case that cliché were to fall on deaf ears, Creager drives the point home with the chorus: “It’s a good day for sunsets baby/And falling in love.”
At best, the song’s pleasing production solidly plays to his enthusiastic, if not over-earnest, performance. At its worst, “A Good Day for Sunsets” comes off as Pat Green-lite, with awkward inflections and borderline creepy lyrics: “You look sexy with your eyes all sleepy/Is it too early for going that far?”
The Texas country sound that makes up the majority of Creager’s catalog is an interesting study, especially for outsiders looking in. Its artists have a talent for juxtaposing nose-thumbing outlaw sentiments with inclusive “let’s share a beer” party anthems, all while walking a line between traditionalism and experimentation.
Creager’s hard work on the road has paid off on Here It Is, his first studio album in five years. Its first single, “I’m From the Beer Joint,” was the number one song of 2008 on the Texas Music Chart (following in the alcohol-soaked footsteps of fan-favorite “The Everclear Song”) and his latest effort has already gained traction in the sub-genre’s fourth highest spot.
Unfortunately, Creager’s bid for national success may get lost in translation between the energetic, addictive live performances of this Texas favorite and a weak, scattered song like “A Good Day for Sunsets.”
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.
- Lisa Phillips: Love the Radio Ramblers! My favorite thing about fall is everything pumpkin.....coffee, cookies, muffins, pie.....etc!
- Sabrina Parnell: Def the cooler temps, football, great food , holidays on the way ,and of course more good country music releases.
- Debbie W: the changing colors of the leaves
- joyce King: I love FALL, the day your album Sept.25th is our wedding anniversary 46th!!! We have a fall Bean Supper, …
- Jim Sibley: I like everything about fall! MLB playoffs, football, end of hot, sticky nights, etc, etc. :-)
- Ron Mullins: Cool nights, smell of autumn and colors, and nice feeling in your heart.
- mike mills: Cool night and hunting
- Paul W Dennis: MLB playoffs and the weather here in Florida finally cooling off a little. Also we get the Palatka Bluegrass Festival …
- Tony Branscomb: Peaceful Quiet Days In The Woods Watching Wildlife Playing.