Rodney Crowell Plays Tiny Desk Concert; Lydia Loveless Covers Echo & The Bunnymen; New Album Releases
- Rodney Crowell played an NPR Tiny Desk Concert and released a music video for “Famous Last Words of a Fool in Love.”
- Glen Campbell’s eldest daughter, Debby, wants her dad to receive at-home care instead of remaining in a facility. From a new article in Country Weekly: “I’m not saying it’s bad by any means, but I don’t think he’s getting the attention that he needs… However, Debby says her hands are tied when it comes to making those decisions, as they fall to Kim, Glen’s wife of 31 years. “I want to take on that responsibility,” states Debby. “I did send Kim an email asking her several weeks ago that I would like to take Dad home and take care of him. I haven’t had a response yet. “He wants to go home,” Debby adds. “Numerous times he has told me that.”
- Lydia Loveless tackled Echo & The Bunnymen’s “The Killing Moon” for The A.V. Club’s Undercover video series. (warning: autoplay)
- Brian T. Atkinson put together a list of five singer-songwriter-Texans you should hear.
- Ryan Adams is releasing some new music on July 1: you can preorder the Gimme Something Good 7” here. This will be the first in a series of vinyl singles released on Adams’ PAX-AM label.
- The Old 97s filmed a video for their song “Let’s Get Drunk & Get It On.”
- 20-year-old Gary Hultman is now the newest member of The Boxcars.
- Keith Urban visited a children’s hospital and did some singing.
- Stream Jacob Thomas Jr.’s Original Sin on No Depression.
- Willie Nelson performed the title track for Band of Brothers for AARP. Watch here.
- Actor Rita Wilson has another record in the works; she’s testing out her new songs at places like the Bluebird.
- Taylor Swift is good at Instagram.
- Randy Rogers Band played “Satellite” for CMT Edge.
- Southern rockers Blackberry Smoke are working on a new album.
- Wynonna says her next record will be “vintage, yet modern.”
- This week’s album releases (if you dig the content on E145, we’d appreciate it if you’d purchase your music through our affiliate links. It helps us keep the metaphorical lights on):
Willie Nelson – Band of Brothers
Kacey Jones – Amen for Old Friends
NRBQ – Brass Tacks
David Rosales – Along the Way
Felice Brothers – Favorite Waitress
Derik Hultquist – Mockingbird’s Mouth
Anna Tivel – Before Machines
Jacob Miller & The Bridge City Crooners – A Love Like This
Tom Freund – Two Moons
Balsam Range – Five
Waylon Jennings – Music Man (now available on mp3)
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.