Riders In The Sky Picks Up Cowboy Spirit Award
- Western music group Riders in the Sky and actor John Wayne are 2008′s recipients of the National Festival of the West Cowboy Spirit Award — recognizing those setting the example of Western heroes with the integrity, strength of spirit, and moral character depicted by the American cowboy.
- The Dixie Chicks will be the first country act to guest on The Simpsons in eight years. Country Universe takes a look at other country artists who have made an appearance on the popular TV show.
- Bill Wescott wonders whether country music has any influence on the rate of divorce in the United States — currently at 47%.
- Edward Morris finds some positive news in the wake of declining album sales and foreclosures of several labels that have left artists without a home. He says the remaining labels have not noticeably cut back the size of their roster, and posted a lineup of labels and their most recently reported rosters.
- Galleywinter has another entertaining edition of 20 Questions, this time with Ryan James in the hot seat.
- Amber Waves of Twang author Chip Frazier admits a mainstream bias, but praises George Strait as the perfect male country voice and asks anyone who may possess some big label biases to put them aside and give his new album a listen. Troubadour marks the third time in his career that a new album has debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart and the 11th time he’s debuted No. 1 on the Top Country Albums chart.
- After ten years of touring, Randy Rogers has grown accustomed to the lifestyle and says it’s weird when he’s back at home.
- Trace Adkins is taping a segment for The Young and the Restless today.
- Vanderbilt University made a video available from one of their classes that explores the religious themes in mainstream country music.
Professors James Hudnut-Beumler and James Byrd, who specialize in American religious history in the Divinity School, analyze eight country music videos with special attention to religious content in the lyrics and religious imagery in video conception.
The video is a full-length class, so I’d advise you not to start it unless you’ve got some time on your hands.
- Talking about her new album, Emmylou Harris says, “you’ll get both Emmylou the interpreter and Emmylou the songwriter.”
- Sandy Brokaw likens the rising popularity of reissued country music television shows from years past to having gold nuggets locked away. He says a lot of the revenue stream today comes from repackaging things. Head of Time Life’s video department Joe Peisch says nostalgia is at the heart of all of their successful products, but Alan Stoker of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum says their releases serve the “mission of education and preserving the culture.” Whatever the reasoning, the “bottom line, according to Glen Campbell, is that the quality of these classic shows ensures sufficient demand to make the efforts worthwhile.”
- Clint Black was funny enough to advance to the next round on last night’s Secret Talent of the Stars, but Stars Trek country crooner George Takei didn’t fare so well in his bid for the second round.
- Charlie Daniels does not condone the perversion of his song “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” for the popular video game Guitar Hero, and uses words like “disgusted” and “vehemently disagree” to describe his feelings for the end result. (via ggcolumn)
- luckyoldsun: Paul, Good info. It's pretty disgraceful that Billboard editors can't even get musical history remotely right regarding even their own publication. The …
- Juli Thanki: Yep, I'll be there. Looking forward to it!
- Leeann: Wow! The Look Again to the Wind: Johnny Cash’s Bitter Tears Revisited album is so good!
- Jack Williams: I was also there on Saturday, Juli. I really liked Angeleena Presley's set, too. Marty and the boys …
- Jack Williams: I heard the guy who made the documentary talks funny. That's great news. I'll definitely buy a copy …
- Dave D.: Jim Lauderdale's The Other Sessions is my favorite; just a great country records, IMO.
- Paul W Dernnis: It seems that whoever wrote that Billboard article had some bum information. As of 1993, 13 country artists had 50 …
- Leeann: My favorite Jim Lauderdale albums are his collaborations with Ralph Stanley.
- Jeremy Dylan: Correcting my typo, that should be http://jimlauderdalemovie.com
- Jeremy Dylan: @SCOOTER: Depending on where your tastes lie, I'd say I'm A Song (the new record), Pretty Close to the Truth …