Ride Along For Taylor Swift’s Hendersonville Boy Tour
- Jody Rosen of Blender magazine had a chance to ride around with Taylor Swift in her Lexus and wrote an in-depth article on the teen phenom. Rosen calls the experience “Taylor’s Hendersonville Boy Tour.”
We’re in front of Sam’s, the rake who prompted Swift to write the revenge ballad “Should’ve Said No,” one of the preternaturally catchy songs on her self-titled debut album. Not far away lives Drew, another ex, now off at college, who inspired two of Swift’s monster hits, her wistful debut single, “Tim McGraw,” about a thwarted summer romance between a couple who share the same favorite singer, and 2007’s No. 1 country smash “Our Song.” Swift pulls her car over. “I took my prom pictures in that backyard. I’ve totally moved on. Drew’s a great guy, but we’re not really in touch. His girlfriend”–Swift pauses for emphasis–“she’s not much of a Taylor Swift fan.”
- For some the name Billy Ray Cyrus will always come with the stigma of “Achy Breaky Heart,” but Chet Flippo argues “if you want a genuine glimpse of the man himself, listen to his 1996 song ‘Trail of Tears’.”
- J. Neas touches on the brief history of what is known as alt-country and says the coincidental deluxe edition re-issue of Whiskeytown’s Stranger’s Almanac and demise of No Depression‘s print magazine makes the changing of the guard “visible and obvious.” (via Twang Nation)
- Holly Gleason recounts Carlene Carter’s heartbreaking, downward spiral — that included an arrest for heroin in 2001 and four deaths within nine months — and her inspiring rise to get clean and pour her experiences into her songwriting for her new album, Stronger. Steve Horowitz of PopMatters digs it.
- Brad Paisley and Sugarland lead the list of nominees for the CMT Awards. Here’s the full list of nominees. Unfortunately, Dale Watson didn’t make the list (!).
- Nashville Scene’s Michael McCall on Alan Jackson’s Good Time:
Jackson seems to want to strip away all the pretense of song craft and probe the marrow of who he is and what he cares about. The best of these songs aren’t inspired by his life. Instead, they are emphatically about his life–autobiographical down to the smallest detail.
- Craig Morgan, who recently left Broken Bow Records, announced at CRS that he’s signed a deal with Sony BMG Nashville.
- I don’t know if it’s the best, but Big Rock Candy Mountain’s “obituary of sorts” has been my favorite tribute to No Depression thus far, mainly because it feels like the author comes from the same place as I do, musically speaking.
- Jeff G. wrote in to say:
Just caught the Big & Rich/John Anderson Cross Country on RAVEHD, which was actually way more entertaining than I thought it would be, mainly due to John Anderson’s songs, but also to Big and Rich’s traditionalism (they can turn it on when they want to be traditionalists). What struck me most . . . was how much Big Kenny seems to be aping Todd Snider in his attire. Granted, Todd doesn’t have it copyrighted, and he would probably be one of the first to say he didn’t care, but its pretty striking.
- If you’re attending SXSW this year and want to meet up for a show or two, drop us a line. We’re always open for a schooling on new bands and such.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.