Ricky Skaggs & Sharon White Plan Duets Record; Stream Newport Folk Festival Performances; Album Releases
- Lee Ann Womack tackles Paul McCartney’s “Let ‘Em In” for benefit album Let Us In Americana.
- Guy Clark’s on the cover of the new issue of American Songwriter. Read Marissa R. Moss’ excellent cover story.
- Jesse McReynolds will headline next month’s Eureka Springs Bluegrass Festival.
- Overall album sales dropped 4.6 percent in the first half of 2013; however, there were increases in digital and vinyl sales.
- CMT Edge posted video of Ashley Monroe playing “Weed Instead of Roses” during the O Music Awards.
- CMT Edge also premiered a track from Americana supergroup Willie Sugarcapps’ new record.
- Chuck Dauphin reviewed Dailey and Vincent’s recent Ryman performance for The 615.
- Paste posted SXSW performance video of Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale. The pair was also recently featured in The Boston Globe.
- Songwriter Alex Harvey shares the story behind “Delta Dawn.”
- Listen to “The Gift,” Tony Joe White’s new single.
- Rick Moore of American Songwriter takes a look back at Randy Travis’ first chart-topper, “On the Other Hand.”
- This weekend you’ll be able to stream Newport Folk Fest performances by Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, JD McPherson, Iris DeMent, Sarah Jarosz, Trombone Shorty, and more. Check out the full schedule so you can plan your weekend accordingly. Nathan Reese of Refinery 29 compiled a Spotify playlist of the “Americana cornucopia” that is this year’s Newport lineup.
- Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White have a duets album in the works.
- The Civil Wars, mildly more interesting now that they openly hate each other, released a new ballad. Listen to “Dust to Dust” on NPR.
- Alabama & Friends, featuring collaborations with artists like Jamey Johnson, Trisha Yearwood, and Toby Keith, comes out August 27. MusicRow.com shared the track listing.
- Soul music fans: Relix posted a new video of St. Paul & The Broken Bones.
- The 615 premiered another track from Neal McCoy’s forthcoming Charley Pride tribute record. Listen to “Roll on Mississippi,” featuring Trace Adkins, here.
- Stream Chris Shiflett & The Dead Peasants’ All Hat and No Cattle.
- Kacey Musgraves was featured in The San Francisco Examiner.
- Hillary Scott’s daughter was one of the 350,000+ non-royal babies born yesterday.
- Randy Lewis of The L.A. Times wrote an interesting article on Suzy Horton Ronstadt, the inspiration behind multiple Jimmy Webb songs. These days, Ronstadt is a member of I Hear Voices.
- This week’s album releases (thanks to those who purchase stuff through our Amazon affiliate program. It doesn’t cost you extra, but it helps offset the site costs):
Guy Clark – My Favorite Picture of You
Pam Tillis & Lorrie Morgan – Dos Divas
Truth & Salvage Co. – Pick Me Up
Elli Perry – The Salt and the Sea
Don Rich – That Fiddlin’ Man
The Buckaroos – The Buckaroos Play Buck and Merle
Various Artists – God’s Country: George Jones and Friends
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.
- Country fan: Could not agree more with Bruce !