Ricky Skaggs is ICM Entertainer of the Year; Pistol Annies Work with T-Bone Burnett; New Music Videos
- Don’t know what to carve into your pumpkin today? Here are some templates of major country music stars to sort through including Carrie Underwood, Blake Shelton, Jason Aldean, Brad Paisley and more.
- The Pistol Annies are already working on new music together and have been in the studio with T-Bone Burnett. Ashley Monroe said the experience has given her a “mini stroke” because it’s so good.
- David Nail had a pretty spectacular Friday. Not only did his beloved Cardinals win the World Series, he delivered a beautiful rendition of “God Bless America” in Game Seven.
- At Charlie Daniels’ 75th birthday bash at the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday night, he was surprised by MG Max Haston of the TN National Guard with a promotion to Brigadier General.
- The Inspirational Country Music (ICM) Awards were held also on Friday and Ricky Skaggs, Joey+Rory, Jeff Bates, The Roys and Justin Moore were among the winners.
- Singer/songwriter Liz Anderson was hospitalized as a result of an undisclosed heart and lung disease.
- Mallory Hope’s brother-in-law is being deployed to Afghanistan and she’s recorded a dedication to him called “Cost of Freedom.” Listen here.
- Mindy Smith has launched a brand new website; it features lots of new video content and a nice selection of paintings that she has done over her career.
- My Kind of Country finishes up its month-long look at a number of different Merle Haggard albums over his career.
- Stream the new Justin Bieber/The Band Perry collaboration, “Home This Christmas.”
- Greensky Bluegrass draws comparisons to the Grateful Dead in this review: “The psychedelic landscape depicted by the band’s name accurately represents its efforts to expand the limits of its beloved genre, while still remaining true to an authentic bluegrass sound. In ‘Handguns,’ there’s as much green sky as there is bluegrass. For instance, ‘Bring Out Your Dead’ is a grungy, blues-laden song that experiments with distortion effects — an interesting concept for an acoustic band — giving the mandolin, guitar and dobro a gritty edge.”
- Life Fine Tuned is a small budget film about a rock star who gets stuck in the country and finds out that his bluegrass roots are better.
- Dave Donnelly, a regional country music singer/songwriter from Rochester whose life was a true country song, passed away at the age of 69.
- New music videos (with a couple of live performances) from the past week:
Ella Mae Bowen – “Holding Out For a Hero”
The Dirt Drifters – “Always a Reason”
Luke Dickens – “True Love Never Dies”
Terri Clark — “The One”
Whiskey Myers – “Bar, Guitar, and a Honky Tonk Crowd”
JetSetGetSet – “Guitarman”
Anthony Tedesco – “Long Until Gone”
The Gothard Sisters – “The Three Coins”
The Viper Creek Band – “Crazy Tonight”
Paige Danner — “Nobody Loves You Like You Do”
Jill Brooks – “Toxic”
Charlie Lucas Band – “Not the Girl She Used To Be”
Caroline County – “Heaven in the Middle of Nowhere”