Ricky Skaggs Goes Solo; Taylor Swift vs. Ernest Tubb; Caitlin & Will Debut New Video
- Tanya Tucker recently released an album of covers that she credits her father for introducing to her and in October, Rosanne Cash will release a new album, The List, consisting of songs from a list that her father gave her. But before Cash’s album, there will be yet another album released credited to the influence of the artist’s father — Ricky Skaggs Solo (Songs My Dad Loved) (Sept. 15).
“Some of these songs were my very first memories of music, of hearing my dad sing,” Skaggs tells Billboard.com. “If I could’ve gotten my dad into the studio, this is how I would’ve wanted him to sound — kind of Iron & Wine meets Ralph Stanley.”
- What would be cooler than an Asleep at the Wheel audio bootleg? A video playlist of Asleep at the Wheel performing 11 hits from 2007 Music Fest in Steamboat, Colorado.
- Country California’s C.M. Wilcox teeters on the edge of sacrilege in a new editorial, “Does Swift Have Tubb Appeal?,” in which he draws parallels between the success of Taylor Swift and Ernest Tubb.
- Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss are headed to the White House.
- In light of the recent MLB All Star Game, Ninety Mile Wind’s Craig Bickhardt published an appropriate article about heart and competition and an accompanying song titled “The Real Game.”
Competition is a funny thing. If you give someone a fair chance to compete with heart, there’s nothing so enriching. Corrupt the spirit of competition and suddenly it gets ugly and debases everything it touches. When greed and steroids infected baseball, it declined. When greed and artificial enhancers like pitch tuners and pre-recorded concert tracks infected music, it, too, declined.
- Nashville is a hitmaker’s hotbed of commercial country music, but in a special to The Washington Post, Jedd Ferris says bluegrass, Americana’s most underappreciated genre, shouldn’t be overlooked.
- Country Universe: What hidden gems covering traditional country music subject matter (murder, drinking, ect.) would you recommend?
- Later this month Martina McBride will visit London and Ireland for her first concerts there in some 15 years.
- Shawn Colvin, who recently released a live album titled Live, discusses her knowledge of country music in an interview with Craig Shelburne.
- Super Summer Giveaway: My Kind of Country has albums from John Anderson, George Jones, Adam Hood and Charlie Robison to give to seven lucky winners. Simply leave a comment with your favorite Summer memory or your favorite song about the Summer time.
- Watch the new video debut of Caitlin & Will‘s “Address In the Stars.”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.