Ricky Skaggs Goes Solo; Taylor Swift vs. Ernest Tubb; Caitlin & Will Debut New Video
- Tanya Tucker recently released an album of covers that she credits her father for introducing to her and in October, Rosanne Cash will release a new album, The List, consisting of songs from a list that her father gave her. But before Cash’s album, there will be yet another album released credited to the influence of the artist’s father — Ricky Skaggs Solo (Songs My Dad Loved) (Sept. 15).
“Some of these songs were my very first memories of music, of hearing my dad sing,” Skaggs tells Billboard.com. “If I could’ve gotten my dad into the studio, this is how I would’ve wanted him to sound — kind of Iron & Wine meets Ralph Stanley.”
- What would be cooler than an Asleep at the Wheel audio bootleg? A video playlist of Asleep at the Wheel performing 11 hits from 2007 Music Fest in Steamboat, Colorado.
- Country California’s C.M. Wilcox teeters on the edge of sacrilege in a new editorial, “Does Swift Have Tubb Appeal?,” in which he draws parallels between the success of Taylor Swift and Ernest Tubb.
- Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss are headed to the White House.
- In light of the recent MLB All Star Game, Ninety Mile Wind’s Craig Bickhardt published an appropriate article about heart and competition and an accompanying song titled “The Real Game.”
Competition is a funny thing. If you give someone a fair chance to compete with heart, there’s nothing so enriching. Corrupt the spirit of competition and suddenly it gets ugly and debases everything it touches. When greed and steroids infected baseball, it declined. When greed and artificial enhancers like pitch tuners and pre-recorded concert tracks infected music, it, too, declined.
- Nashville is a hitmaker’s hotbed of commercial country music, but in a special to The Washington Post, Jedd Ferris says bluegrass, Americana’s most underappreciated genre, shouldn’t be overlooked.
- Country Universe: What hidden gems covering traditional country music subject matter (murder, drinking, ect.) would you recommend?
- Later this month Martina McBride will visit London and Ireland for her first concerts there in some 15 years.
- Shawn Colvin, who recently released a live album titled Live, discusses her knowledge of country music in an interview with Craig Shelburne.
- Super Summer Giveaway: My Kind of Country has albums from John Anderson, George Jones, Adam Hood and Charlie Robison to give to seven lucky winners. Simply leave a comment with your favorite Summer memory or your favorite song about the Summer time.
- Watch the new video debut of Caitlin & Will‘s “Address In the Stars.”
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.