Ricky Skaggs Goes Solo; Taylor Swift vs. Ernest Tubb; Caitlin & Will Debut New Video
- Tanya Tucker recently released an album of covers that she credits her father for introducing to her and in October, Rosanne Cash will release a new album, The List, consisting of songs from a list that her father gave her. But before Cash’s album, there will be yet another album released credited to the influence of the artist’s father — Ricky Skaggs Solo (Songs My Dad Loved) (Sept. 15).
“Some of these songs were my very first memories of music, of hearing my dad sing,” Skaggs tells Billboard.com. “If I could’ve gotten my dad into the studio, this is how I would’ve wanted him to sound — kind of Iron & Wine meets Ralph Stanley.”
- What would be cooler than an Asleep at the Wheel audio bootleg? A video playlist of Asleep at the Wheel performing 11 hits from 2007 Music Fest in Steamboat, Colorado.
- Country California’s C.M. Wilcox teeters on the edge of sacrilege in a new editorial, “Does Swift Have Tubb Appeal?,” in which he draws parallels between the success of Taylor Swift and Ernest Tubb.
- Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss are headed to the White House.
- In light of the recent MLB All Star Game, Ninety Mile Wind’s Craig Bickhardt published an appropriate article about heart and competition and an accompanying song titled “The Real Game.”
Competition is a funny thing. If you give someone a fair chance to compete with heart, there’s nothing so enriching. Corrupt the spirit of competition and suddenly it gets ugly and debases everything it touches. When greed and steroids infected baseball, it declined. When greed and artificial enhancers like pitch tuners and pre-recorded concert tracks infected music, it, too, declined.
- Nashville is a hitmaker’s hotbed of commercial country music, but in a special to The Washington Post, Jedd Ferris says bluegrass, Americana’s most underappreciated genre, shouldn’t be overlooked.
- Country Universe: What hidden gems covering traditional country music subject matter (murder, drinking, ect.) would you recommend?
- Later this month Martina McBride will visit London and Ireland for her first concerts there in some 15 years.
- Shawn Colvin, who recently released a live album titled Live, discusses her knowledge of country music in an interview with Craig Shelburne.
- Super Summer Giveaway: My Kind of Country has albums from John Anderson, George Jones, Adam Hood and Charlie Robison to give to seven lucky winners. Simply leave a comment with your favorite Summer memory or your favorite song about the Summer time.
- Watch the new video debut of Caitlin & Will‘s “Address In the Stars.”
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …
- Chad: "I Love" of course!
- nm: I enjoyed that Nashville recap from the Fug Girls, but the absolutely best recaps are in the Nashville Scene, by …
- Donald: "Don't Forget the Coffee, Billy Joe" is just one of my many favourites!