Rich’s Manager Wants Lawsuit Dropped; Opry Experiments With Captioning
- WSMV Nashville obtained audio tapes of a conversation John Rich‘s manager, Marc Oswald, had with Jared Ashley in which Oswald tried to get Ashley to drop his lawsuit against Rich.
The audio recordings are supposedly a conversation between Oswald and Ashley on May 22. The recordings are edited. Ashley never speaks.
“One thing about the music business, country music business in particular, is, you know, as long as you’re not a child rapist or gay, you can get away with a lot … You know what I mean?” said Oswald on the tape.
“I would say, dude, if this guy is ready to back off and ready to write a check for aggravation and by doing so, it’s over and you can feel like you accomplished a lot, I would do it,” Oswald said. “If I can agree with you on the number and he drops his and you drop yours and you call the detective, we could be done with this today.”
- The Grand Ole Opry is experimenting with captioning for the hearing impaired.
- Craig Bickhardt posted video of “Father’s Day” to his blog, Ninety Mile Wind. It’s a song he wrote with Jack Sundrud and Helen Darling and is obviously appropriate to yesterday’s celebration of fathers.
- Julianne Hough landed the role of Ariel Moore for the remake of the ’80s film Footloose.
- In a special to DFW.com, Punch Shaw said two songs defined the Cherryholmes‘ set at Concerts in the Garden on Friday night: “Sumatra” and “Mary.”
- Charlie Robison directs a few jabs at his ex-wife on his new album, Beautiful Day, but in an interview with Sarah Rodman he said he “wanted to keep all the overt vindictiveness out of it.”
“Emily and I are still very close. She comes over to the house for dinner three times a week with [our three] kids, and we still go out and have dinner with our friends. I didn’t want my kids for the next 20 years of their life at their therapists’ office saying, ‘Daddy keeps calling Mommy a bitch on his records.’ That would get kind of old after a while.”
- Todd Snider‘s 2003 live album Near Truths and Hotel Rooms tops Country California’s ranking of his discography.
- Megan Branch shared ten interesting facts about the Father of Country Music straight from Barry Mazor’s new book, Meeting Jimmie Rodgers: How America’s Original Roots Music Hero Changed the Pop Sounds of a Century.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne listed his favorite versions of songs written by Matraca Berg.
- Jon Caramanica reviewed the Toby Keith and Trace Adkins concert at PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, N.J. on Thursday night for The New York Times.
- Those Darlins will release their self-titled debut album through their own company, Oh Wow Dang, on July 7.
- Forbes.com named Dierks Bentley as a one of ten personalities who have the potential to become breakout stars. (via Country Music Is Love)
- For the past few weeks Country Mike has been counting down the top 50 states for country music. This week he hit the top ten. Find out who made the top spot: Texas or Tennessee. Which would you have chosen?
- My Kind of Country and Country Universe are each giving away five copies of Tanya Tucker‘s new album My Turn.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.