Richie Havens Passes Away; Glen Campbell Stops Touring; Album Releases
- Richie Havens, the artist who opened Woodstock, passed away yesterday from a sudden heart attack. He was 72. Here’s the New York Times obituary.
- Glen Campbell has stopped touring due to the progression of his Alzheimer’s. However, he will release an album this summer. See You There will feature “reimagined versions of hits like ‘Wichita Lineman,’ ‘By the Time I Get to Phoenix,’ ‘Rhinestone Cowboy’ and ‘Gentle on My Mind,’ and was recorded by Julian Raymond during the same sessions that yielded songs for Ghost on the Canvas.”
- Bob Dylan, Wilco, and My Morning Jacket will tour together this summer. Richard Thompson and Ryan Bingham will appear on select dates.
- Willie Nelson started celebrating his 80th birthday a bit early by taping an episode of CMT Crossroads with Jamey Johnson, Ashley Monroe, Neil Young, Norah Jones, and others. Sounds like it was a fun evening.
- A new Joe Nichols song premiered on The Boot.
- Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson have separated.
- Rolling Stone premiered the video for “Ohio,” a song on Patty Griffin’s upcoming album, American Kid. (warning: autoplay)
- Ryan Bingham covered David Bowie.
- Here’s Ashley Monroe performing an acoustic version of “Two Weeks Late.”
- Independent Sky posted a new Chris Young song, “Aw Naw.”
- The Drive-By Truckers’ “Ronnie and Neil” is the American Songwriter Lyric of the Week.
- American Songwriter premiered The Dustbowl Revival’s version of “John the Revelator.”
- Zac Brown Band’s Southern Ground Music & Food Festival will return to Nashville September 27-28. Willie Nelson, Eli Young Band, and Kacey Musgraves are a few of the acts slated to play.
- Lee Zimmerman of The Bluegrass Situation interviewed John McEuen.
- On Thursday, Gretchen Wilson will co-host The View. (via press release)
- Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Eric Church, Jason Aldean, and Luke Bryan are among the finalists for next month’s Billboard Music Awards.
- Here’s a video of The Avett Brothers playing “Pretty Girl from Annapolis.”
- The Honeycutters played a few for Concrete Country.
- Shooter Jennings is “set to co-produce a film based on the life of his father,” reports Dave Paulson of the Tennessean.
- NPR’s Weekend Edition aired a piece on the Child ballads and Anais Mitchell & Jefferson Hamer.
- The Earl Brackin Band will tour Russia during the 2014 Winter Olympics. They’ve started a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds for their trip.
- Album releases:
Steve Martin and Edie Brickell – Love Has Come for You
Lori McKenna – Massachusetts
Tate Stevens – Tate Stevens
Tom Jones – Spirit in the Room
Hymn for Her – Lucy and Wayne’s Smokin’ Flames
Luke Winslow-King – The Coming Tide
Eric Brace and Peter Cooper – The Comeback Album
The Whiskey Collection – Letters from an Old Trunk
Mike Aiken – Captains & Cowboys
The Chapin Sisters – A Date with the Everly Brothers
Jerry Miller – New Road Under My Wheels
Coastwest Unrest – High Times on Lowly Streets
Tejas Brothers – Live a Little More
Jason Stringfellow Band – Jason Stringfellow Band
The Hollows – Neverending Show
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.