Rhonda Vincent, Willie Nelson Duet; Pokey LaFarge Plays Mountain Stage; New Music Videos
- The Band of Heathens will release their fourth album, Sunday Morning Record, on September 17. Listen to the first single here.
- Fiddlin’ Dwight Moody (The Virginia Playboys, WBT Briarhoppers) passed away on Friday at the age of 83.
- Todd Snider announced a fall solo tour.
- Rhonda Vincent and Willie Nelson sang a duet together that’ll appear on Vincent’s next album.
- Pokey LaFarge played Mountain Stage. Listen here.
- In a Friday evening update posted on the Baylor Health Care System website, Randy Travis’ doctors revealed that the country singer was under sedation and still in critical condition, but resting comfortably as he recovered from surgery to relieve pressure in his brain after suffering a stroke.
- Chris Gray of The Houston Press picked out his “10 Essential Early Randy Travis Songs.”
- Ricky Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby are releasing a live album in August; they’ll also be touring together this fall.
- Check out Jim Caligiuri’s “Best Music of 2013 (So Far)” list and download the accompanying mix.
- Ty Herndon has launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund his next album.
- Bluegrass is the “flavor of the week” in a pair of new musicals, writes Joe Dziemianowicz of the New York Daily News. Bright Star (by Steve Martin and Edie Brickell) and Southern Comfort both incorporate the genre into their soundtrack.
- Need a Townes Van Zandt iPhone app? Of course you do. Check out writer Brian T. Atkinson’s book I’ll Be Here in the Morning: The Songwriting Legacy of Townes Van Zandt in app form (here’s our review of the book).
- Atkinson picked out five rootsy Austin acts worth discovering, including Shinyribs and Bonnie Whitmore.
- Dale Ann Bradley’s working on a new album for release in 2014. The record “will feature a number of duets with artists from a variety of genres, although she can’t drop any names yet, ‘but it will be eclectic … eclectic in a traditional way.’”
- Get the story behind Garth Brooks and Victoria Shaw’s “The River.”
- Zac Brown Band visited Bob Harris Country on BBC Radio 2.
- Peter Cooper wrote a neat Tennessean article on Chance Martin and his record In Search ,“one of Nashville music history’s stranger and more compelling albums.”
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country.
- Like John Fullbright and/or Joe Pug? Dislike capital letters? You might dig Sam Baker’s new song, “ditch.”
- Sarah Rodman of The Boston Globe reviewed Jason Aldean’s Friday night Fenway Park show.
- The International Bluegrass Music Museum is one of this year’s recipients of the Kentucky Governor’s Award in the Arts. Read the full list of winners on the Kentucky Arts Council website.
- The winners of our various birthday giveaways have been notified by email. Thanks for helping us celebrate.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
The Deadly Gentlemen – “Bored of the Raging”
Drake White – “The Simple Life” (Acoustic Version)
Tedeschi Trucks Band – “The Storm”
Darden Smith – “Angel Flight”
Mike Aiken – “Summertime Song”
Lisa Marie Presley – “Over Me”
Randy Houser – “Runnin’ Outta Moonlight”
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."