Rhonda Vincent, Willie Nelson Duet; Pokey LaFarge Plays Mountain Stage; New Music Videos
- The Band of Heathens will release their fourth album, Sunday Morning Record, on September 17. Listen to the first single here.
- Fiddlin’ Dwight Moody (The Virginia Playboys, WBT Briarhoppers) passed away on Friday at the age of 83.
- Todd Snider announced a fall solo tour.
- Rhonda Vincent and Willie Nelson sang a duet together that’ll appear on Vincent’s next album.
- Pokey LaFarge played Mountain Stage. Listen here.
- In a Friday evening update posted on the Baylor Health Care System website, Randy Travis’ doctors revealed that the country singer was under sedation and still in critical condition, but resting comfortably as he recovered from surgery to relieve pressure in his brain after suffering a stroke.
- Chris Gray of The Houston Press picked out his “10 Essential Early Randy Travis Songs.”
- Ricky Skaggs and Bruce Hornsby are releasing a live album in August; they’ll also be touring together this fall.
- Check out Jim Caligiuri’s “Best Music of 2013 (So Far)” list and download the accompanying mix.
- Ty Herndon has launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund his next album.
- Bluegrass is the “flavor of the week” in a pair of new musicals, writes Joe Dziemianowicz of the New York Daily News. Bright Star (by Steve Martin and Edie Brickell) and Southern Comfort both incorporate the genre into their soundtrack.
- Need a Townes Van Zandt iPhone app? Of course you do. Check out writer Brian T. Atkinson’s book I’ll Be Here in the Morning: The Songwriting Legacy of Townes Van Zandt in app form (here’s our review of the book).
- Atkinson picked out five rootsy Austin acts worth discovering, including Shinyribs and Bonnie Whitmore.
- Dale Ann Bradley’s working on a new album for release in 2014. The record “will feature a number of duets with artists from a variety of genres, although she can’t drop any names yet, ‘but it will be eclectic … eclectic in a traditional way.’”
- Get the story behind Garth Brooks and Victoria Shaw’s “The River.”
- Zac Brown Band visited Bob Harris Country on BBC Radio 2.
- Peter Cooper wrote a neat Tennessean article on Chance Martin and his record In Search ,“one of Nashville music history’s stranger and more compelling albums.”
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country.
- Like John Fullbright and/or Joe Pug? Dislike capital letters? You might dig Sam Baker’s new song, “ditch.”
- Sarah Rodman of The Boston Globe reviewed Jason Aldean’s Friday night Fenway Park show.
- The International Bluegrass Music Museum is one of this year’s recipients of the Kentucky Governor’s Award in the Arts. Read the full list of winners on the Kentucky Arts Council website.
- The winners of our various birthday giveaways have been notified by email. Thanks for helping us celebrate.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
The Deadly Gentlemen – “Bored of the Raging”
Drake White – “The Simple Life” (Acoustic Version)
Tedeschi Trucks Band – “The Storm”
Darden Smith – “Angel Flight”
Mike Aiken – “Summertime Song”
Lisa Marie Presley – “Over Me”
Randy Houser – “Runnin’ Outta Moonlight”
- Dave D.: I never expected to see a shout out to the Cameron Family Singers today (or any day, for that matter). …
- nm: Duncan Cooper is not wrong.
- bob: Re Herndon, O'Neal & Griggs touring together, Herndon's "Lies I Told Myself Album" includes a duet with O'Neal, "I Can't". …
- luckyoldsun: Looks like CMT is pulling a "surprise" for its Artists' Choice countdown. They're coming up on #2 but there are …
- Jim Z: " Luke Bryan (Best Country Male Artist), Brantley Gilbert’s Just as I Am (Best Country Album), Carrie Underwood (Best Country …
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …