Rhonda Vincent Notches Another Entertainer of the Year Win at Bluegrass Awards
- Rhonda Vincent has won Entertainer of the Year at the Bluegrass Awards every year since 2002 and this year was no different. Check out Edward Morris’ recap of the evening. And in light of a recent topic surrounding Vincent, the title of this article is ironic.
- This year’s Country Music Hall of Fame inductees will be announced on February 12. Anyone want to take a stab at the possible inductees?
- Ilan Brat says that compulsive ice eating was observed at least as far back as the 1600s, and has only grown over time. Vince Gill is one of those compulsive ice eaters.
For some people, going to a restaurant for the perfect ice is too much trouble. A few years ago, the singer Amy Grant wanted to find the perfect Christmas gift for her husband, Mr. Gill, the country-music star. She had a Scotsman machine costing several thousand dollars installed in their garage in Nashville.
- About five years after James Otto’s first release he is finally following it up with Sunset Man on April 8.
- MySA.com has a recap of performances by Ronnie Milsap, Miranda Lambert, and Alan Jackson at the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo.
- A couple of web reports indicated that famous pot smoker Willie Nelson had quit smoking, but that may not be the case…
Nelson cut booze out of his diet many years ago and probably cigarettes as well. Though it might appear that he’s referring to marijuana, anyone who’s been on his bus lately knows Nelson not only continues to puff pot, he smokes the very best there is – known to his friends as “Willie Weed.”
One of Nelson’s publicists sent a two-letter comment: “HA!!!!” And we add to that: LOL!
- Willie Nelson says in celebration of his 75th birthday he’s going to be roasted on Comedy Central.
- Here’s some pictures from an Adam Hood video shoot.
- For Super Tuesday Jame McMurtry decided to make “Cheney’s Toy”, from his forthcoming album, available as a free download.
- Rascal Flatts failed to make an impression on David Hewitt during their Europe tour.
As with the case of Nickelback just a few years ago, it’s almost certain that Europe will fail to see the attraction of Rascal Flatts. Despite hailing from Nashville and being dumped firmly in the ‘country’ music category, aside from a few contrived violin or mandolin parts, their music is solidly middle-of-the-road soft rock. To make matters worse, it’s lyrically as well as musically predictable, ticking all the appropriate boxes of fast cars, girls and chasing dreams.
- Jessica Harp, one-half of Wreckers duo, got married yesterday to the fiddle player from her band.
- Taylor Swift’s website is encouraging visitors to vote for “Teardrops On My Guitar” on MTV’s TRL.
- A study of 279 songs from the 2005 year end Billboard charts found that country music came in second place among popular music for references to tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs. Rap had the highest percentage of references at 90% while country music was at 41%.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.