Rhonda Vincent Announces New Album; Steel Guitarist Ben Keith Passed On; Worst Album Titles
- Rhonda Vincent‘s new album Taken, her first since departing Rounder Records in Feb., will be released on Sept. 21. She talked in-depth about the album during a press conference at the recent HullabaLOU Music Festival.
- Jason Aldean is country…with an edge:
“I grew up listening to George Strait, Ronnie Milsap, Conway Twitty … I also listened to a lot of ’80s rock bands. What I do is country … lyrically, melodically, everything about it is country. The only thing we we change around a little bit is that we make the guitars … a little more aggressive. It has a little more of an edge to it.”
[…] “We always have a cover or two we put in our show,” says Jason, noting that covers of Guns N’ Roses and Bryan Adams are among those he’s sung in the past.
- Steel guitarist Ben Keith passed away at the age of 73 from a heart attack. Although he was a well-known sideman for Neil Young, he also worked as a popular session musician with a list of artists that includes Patsy Cline, Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Willie Nelson, and Waylon Jennings.
- With all the songs presented for his recently released Outlaw album, Mark Chesnutt says the project could have had six discs.
- Pop star Ke$ha tells Papermag that country might be in her future, but for now, she’s happy being “a white girl rapper.” (via The Tennessean)
- Stage props are a common part of concerts these days (it has something to do with enhancing the level of entertainment), but how many stars who use props can actually fly them? I’d venture a guess that Aaron Tippin stands alone. For his new tour, the CAF Red, White & Loud Tour, he’s teamed up with the Commemorative Air Force to co-pilot a restored Boeing B-29 Superfortress from event to event. GAC’s Jason Mease notes that once Tippin is on the ground, the B-29, which goes by the name FIFI, will be used as a backdrop to his performance.
- James Otto, the self-professed musical lovechild of Ronnie Milsap and Barry White, will release his next album, titled Shake What God Gave Ya, on Sept. 14.
- LeAnn Rimes and Eddie Cibrian are moving in together.
- A judge ended a five-year feud between the four children of the late country music songwriter Darrell “Wayne” Perry and his sister on Monday with his ruling that the family’s share of Perry’s catalog will be placed into a trust fund for the children. Perry’s catalog includes Tim McGraw‘s “Not a Moment Too Soon,” Toby Keith‘s “A Woman’s Touch,” and nearly 3,000 other songs, most of which have not been published or performed. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Over 1,300 people voted in the poll to choose the title of Katie Armiger‘s new album and the result is: Confessions of a Nice Girl.
- Darryl Worley is scheduled to host his 9th Annual Tennessee River Run Festival from Sept. 16-18. The festival includes: ” and Evening With Darryl & Friends (9/16), a Golf Tournament (9/17), a 5K Run/Walk (9/18), a Motorcycle Poker Run (9/18), a Rock Concert with headliner Marshall Tucker Band (9/17) , and an all-star Country Concert featuring Worley and former American Idol contestant, Danny Gokey (9/18).”
- For week 29 of his Nashville or Bust series, Nathan Rabin covered the original King of Country Music, Roy Acuff.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne opened the discussion on worst album titles.
- Justin Townes Earle injured his hand over the weekend and had to get 19 stitches, which means a couple of shows had to be canceled.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …