Reckless Kelly Announces First Celebrity Softball Jam
- Reckless Kelly announced their first Celebrity Softball Jam yesterday. It’ll take place Sunday, April 19 at the Dell Diamond in Round Rock, TX and will benefit Miracle League at Town & Country, South Austin Little League, and a scholarship fund for the Austin Elks. The actual game will feature national and local celebrities along with performing artists, and to top off the festivities, Reckless Kelly will perform, along with the Randy Rogers Band, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Micky and the Motorcars, Ray Benson, Jason Boland, Paula Nelson and more.
- The Academy of Country Music named nominees for album of the year and they are Taylor Swift, George Strait, Jamey Johnson, Carrie Underwood and Montgomery Gentry.
- Luke Bryan will release two new songs, “Take My Drunk Ass Home” and “Sorority Girls,” next Tuesday on an iTunes exclusive five-song EP titled Spring Break With All My Friends. Gee, I wonder what crowd he’s trying to target…
- My Kind of Country remembers Patsy Cline, Hawkshaw Hawkins and Cowboy Copas. They died in a plane crash forty-six years ago to the day.
- The Music City Syndicate has details on how you could be in the video for Dierks Bentley‘s “Sideways.” The casting call is next Monday (March 9) and they’re looking for a nighttime, upscale club look or “country cool.”
- Country music newcomers Gloriana, who recently released their debut video for “Wild at Heart” (I wonder if their attire counts as country cool), will make their debut appearance on the Opry this Friday. (via press release)
- There was no mincing of words at the awards ceremony for Country Radio Broadcasters on Tuesday night when Merle Haggard appeared on stage. After hearing Emmylou Harris praise “Kern River,” Haggard recalled the distaste that Rick Blackburn, the former head of CBS Records, had for the song. CMT’s Edward Morris relayed the story:
On another occasion, Haggard recalled that Blackburn said, “I’d like to tell you one more time. I don’t like ‘Kern River.'” Haggard continued, “And I said, ‘That’s about the third time you’ve told me that.’ He said, ‘It’s more like five times.’ And I said, ‘Well, I’m about five times short of telling you to go to hell.'”
By now, the crowd was roaring with laughter. But Haggard wasn’t through yet.
“I said, ‘Who do you think you are? You’re the son-of-a-bitch that sat at that desk over there and fired Johnny Cash. Let it go down in history that you’re the dumbest son-of-a-bitch I’ve ever met.'”
- Handstamp’s Joey Guerra says Alan Jackson was the focal point during his shortened 50-minute set at RodeoHouston, which stood in contrast to Rascal Flatts‘ effects-heavy show on Tuesday night.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne asks: If you could choose the set list for one of your favorite artists, what would it look like?
- Todd Snider signed to Yep Rock Records.
- Word has it that Mindy McCready is back with her ex-boyfriend Billy McKnight, who was convicted of beating her, and the couple have a new duet titled “Sweeter.” At the CMT Blog, Alison Bonaguro says she’s all for taking country songs literally, but when it comes to abuse she doesn’t think Tammy Wynette’s “Stand By Your Man” applies.
- Additional tickets have been made available for the concert featuring George Strait and Reba McEntire at the opening of the new Dallas Cowboy stadium.
- Shayne Hollinger, the Program/Music Director of Mandatory FM in Stephenville, TX, shared 10 songs that he’s diggin’ at the moment and sharing on the airwaves.
- Leeann Ward: Interesting! I just got an email from Amozon saying that they cancelled my preorder of Jamey Johnson's Christmas album due …
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …