Reba To Debut New Single At ACM Awards
- Reba McEntire will debut the lead single, “Strange,” from her first studio album in six years at the ACM Awards on April 5. For now, you can settle for a short preview on The Valory Music Co. website.
- The Austin American Statesman‘s Brad Buchholz sat with Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Joe Ely and Butch Hancock of The Flatlanders to talk about their new album, Hills and Valleys, their songwriting and their philosophies.
“Hills and Valleys” starts with allusions to specific, literal things — Hurricane Katrina, for example, or Texas-Mexico border wall. Yet at its core, the album is about bigger matters, spiritual matters, interior matters. It considers humanity and humility, our preposterous smallness in a vast world, the idea of interconnection, the possibility of love, the breath of creation, the spiritual value of journey.
This is today’s must read.
- Lee Ann Womack, Jamey Johnson, John Rich, Lady Antebellum, Reba McEntire and Miley Cyrus have been added to the lineup of performers for the ACM Awards. I won’t mention any names, but it’s nice to know that a person can get a performing slot at the ACMs after releasing one piss-poor single that the industry considers country.
- Note to Garth Brooks: John Rich wants you to give him a call.
- Peter Cooper profiled the life of Aubrey Mayhew, the co-founder of Little Darlin’ Records and a John F. Kennedy history buff.
- For an annual fee of $19.99 you can be a member of Kellie Pickler‘s new fan club.
- Although the new album from Gretchen Peters and Tom Russell, One to the Heart, One to the Head, is largely a covers album, Juli Thanki says Peters and Russell manage to make the songs sound like an album full of new material.
- The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica attended Jefferey Steele‘s show at Joe’s Pub on Wednesday night.
The definitive interpretation of “What Hurts the Most,” the No. 1 country hit by Rascal Flatts, comes not from that group but from the song’s writer, Jeffrey Steele. Rascal Flatts wiped the song clean of anguish, but Mr. Steele, as seen in any number of YouTube clips, howls it like a torture victim.
- A press release announcing Pam Tillis‘ upcoming tour of Ireland and the UK also notes that she has a new project in the works that she plans to release later this year.
- The Country California satire department broke news that Brad Paisley is reconsidering the direction of his new album, which means he’s heading back into the studio. In the mean time he’ll release a piccolo album, titled Blow: The Piccolo Album, to tide fans over. His producer, Frank Rogers, commented on the situation:
“Apparently, some bloggers at The 9513 and Country Universe did not care for the new single. It was pretty much the best thing on the album, so we decided we should go back into the studio and try harder. Thank God for bloggers! Beholden to nobody, they are mavericks unafraid to speak truth to authority. Us folks in the music business just love them to death, even when they do act all high and mighty from their dingy one-bedroom apartments. Bastards.”
- Pop music editor Preston Jones highlighted the debut New American Voices show with Drew Kennedy and Rodney Hayden at DFW.com, and Drew said a good time was had by all who attended.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …