“Real Men of Genius” Salutes Dierks Bentley
- Dierks Bentley joins “Mr. Push Up Bra Inventor” and “Mr. Tiny Thong Bikini Wearer” as one of the subjects immortalized in Anheuser Busch’s “Real Men of Genius” radio spots. In the ad, he’s saluted as “Mr. Sad Country Song Songwriter” (listen).
“Getting a ‘real men of genius’ spot is pretty much the pinnacle for a dude that likes to drink beer, and I’ve had to nurse a lot of hangovers over the years to reach this status,” jokes Bentley.
- Big Rock Candy Mountain strongly advises you to stay away from Scarlett Johansson’s album of Tom Waits songs, calling it “one the vilest steaming piles of horseshit we have ever heard” and “worst album, not of the year, but of the decade.” The good news is The Mountain digs the new Hayes Carll album and his Tom Waits cover, “I Don’t Want To Grow Up.”
- Texas Music Matters’ song of the day, “Every Drop of Water,” belongs to Jerry Jeff Walker.
- James Otto topped the R&R and Mediabase country charts with “Just Got Started Lovin’ You.”
- A second season of CMT’s “Gone Country” is under way with John Rich returning as host. Actress Sean Young, ‘N Sync’er Chris Kirkpatrick and former Jackson 5 member Jermaine Jackson are among the celebrities vying to have their single released to country radio.
- Mike Ness, the lead singer of Social Distortion, is currently on tour without his punk band, performing some of his rootsier music and occasional covers of songs by the likes of Johnny Cash and Marty Robbins. The Houston Chronicle’s Andrew Dansby has a short Q&A with the singer about music and tattoos.
- Taylor Swift will be joining Rascal Flatts for their Bob That Head summer tour.
- Country Universe kicked off a new feature, “Six Pack,” in which six essential singles or tracks from a particular artist or theme will be featured. Mindy McCready is featured to get the ball rolling.
- YouTube video of Ashley Monroe performing “Has Anybody Ever Told You.”
- If you didn’t have a chance to pick up a copy of last week’s Country Weekly (shame on you!), Jim Malec’s review of Lady Antebellum’s debut album is now available online at the CW website.
- Tyler Cowen attempts to answer the question, “what is the best country music?”
- The film Palo Pinto Gold will premiere tonight in San Antonio, but won’t return until distribution is secured and DVD and cable contracts are certain. Mel Tillis, Roy Clark, Trent Willmon, Kinky Friedman, Robert Earl Keen, Kevin Fowler, Jarrod Birmingham and Rodney Hayden are country singers who have a role in the film.
- Alison Bonaguro posted several close ups of country singers’ tattoos. See if you can guess which tattoo belongs to which singer.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.