“Real Men of Genius” Salutes Dierks Bentley
- Dierks Bentley joins “Mr. Push Up Bra Inventor” and “Mr. Tiny Thong Bikini Wearer” as one of the subjects immortalized in Anheuser Busch’s “Real Men of Genius” radio spots. In the ad, he’s saluted as “Mr. Sad Country Song Songwriter” (listen).
“Getting a ‘real men of genius’ spot is pretty much the pinnacle for a dude that likes to drink beer, and I’ve had to nurse a lot of hangovers over the years to reach this status,” jokes Bentley.
- Big Rock Candy Mountain strongly advises you to stay away from Scarlett Johansson’s album of Tom Waits songs, calling it “one the vilest steaming piles of horseshit we have ever heard” and “worst album, not of the year, but of the decade.” The good news is The Mountain digs the new Hayes Carll album and his Tom Waits cover, “I Don’t Want To Grow Up.”
- Texas Music Matters’ song of the day, “Every Drop of Water,” belongs to Jerry Jeff Walker.
- James Otto topped the R&R and Mediabase country charts with “Just Got Started Lovin’ You.”
- A second season of CMT’s “Gone Country” is under way with John Rich returning as host. Actress Sean Young, ‘N Sync’er Chris Kirkpatrick and former Jackson 5 member Jermaine Jackson are among the celebrities vying to have their single released to country radio.
- Mike Ness, the lead singer of Social Distortion, is currently on tour without his punk band, performing some of his rootsier music and occasional covers of songs by the likes of Johnny Cash and Marty Robbins. The Houston Chronicle’s Andrew Dansby has a short Q&A with the singer about music and tattoos.
- Taylor Swift will be joining Rascal Flatts for their Bob That Head summer tour.
- Country Universe kicked off a new feature, “Six Pack,” in which six essential singles or tracks from a particular artist or theme will be featured. Mindy McCready is featured to get the ball rolling.
- YouTube video of Ashley Monroe performing “Has Anybody Ever Told You.”
- If you didn’t have a chance to pick up a copy of last week’s Country Weekly (shame on you!), Jim Malec’s review of Lady Antebellum’s debut album is now available online at the CW website.
- Tyler Cowen attempts to answer the question, “what is the best country music?”
- The film Palo Pinto Gold will premiere tonight in San Antonio, but won’t return until distribution is secured and DVD and cable contracts are certain. Mel Tillis, Roy Clark, Trent Willmon, Kinky Friedman, Robert Earl Keen, Kevin Fowler, Jarrod Birmingham and Rodney Hayden are country singers who have a role in the film.
- Alison Bonaguro posted several close ups of country singers’ tattoos. See if you can guess which tattoo belongs to which singer.
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.