Ray Price Recovering From Surgery; Luke Bryan Premiers Video; Speculation On New Tim McGraw Music
- Ray Price is currently recovering from his surgery on June 23rd to remove precancerous polyps from his colon.
- In this week’s Quotable Country, C.M. Wilcox highlighted the following exchange between Bryan Adams and Jason Adlean from their recent CMT Crossroads episode:
Bryan Adams: You guys are a full-on rock band. There’s nothing country about what’s going on onstage. The only thing country is maybe the song titles: “Johnny Cash,” “She’s Country.”
Jason Aldean: Well, I think the fact that I wear a cowboy hat probably helps us get away with it.
- The New York Times has album reviews of Brad Paisley‘s American Saturday Night and Levon Helms‘ Electric Dirt, courtesy of Ben Ratliff and Jon Pareles. Both albums are due out tomorrow (June 30).
- Amazon has the exclusive premier of Luke Bryan‘s video for “Do I.” After watching it twice, I’m still not sure I understand exactly what’s going on. (via Country Music Tattle Tale)
- Hazel Smith thinks Sunny Sweeney (MySpace) is Americana and namechecked Ashley Ray (MySpace) in an article about blondes.
- An uncredited article on American Country Countdown attempted to draw parallels between Michael Jackson and Hank Williams…
- Ray Stevens told The Tennessean‘s Cindy Watts that these days he can be found filming We Ain’t Dead Yet, a sitcom set in a retirement home for entertainers, which he described as “Hee Haw with a plot.
- Bluegrass pioneer Bill Harrell, who contributed greatly to the growth of bluegrass in the Washington, D.C. area, passed away last week. His funeral is being held today.
- Kyle McCraw commented on the new self-titled Larry Jon Wilson album for Country Music Pride.
- Deborah Evans Price notes that Tracy Lawrence‘s new album, The Rock, is his first Christian album and reflects the latest chapter in his life.
- Curb Records announced that they’ll ship “It’s A Business Doing Pleasure With You,” a new Tim McGraw single, to radio on Tuesday. His new album, rumored to be titled Southern Voice, is expected to be released before Christmas, but don’t hold your breath. It’s been delayed several times already, which has caused McGraw to express frustration in the past. The first time I heard the actual song “Southern Voice” was in late ’07 at the first and only Big State Festival. The album was supposed to be released soon after that, but here we are, almost two years later and the release date still in speculation. (via NashvilleGab)
- Chris Neal reviewed albums from Charlie Robison, Elvis Costello and Ray Charles with ratings ranging from three-and-a-half to five stars.
- McCoury Music Club is now offering live show downloads from The Del McCoury Band to non-subscribers. Prices range from $10-$15. (via The Bluegrass Blog)
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.