Randy Travis Releases George Jones Tribute Song; Julie Roberts Signs with Sun Records; New Music Videos
- Julie Roberts announced that she has been signed to Sun Records, making her the first artist to release a new album for the label in almost three decades. The album will be called Good Wine and Bad Decisions and will be released this fall.
- Randy Travis released a new song dedicated to George Jones. Listen to “Tonight I’m Playing Possum,” written by Keith Gattis and featuring Joe Nichols, here.
- Carrie Underwood celebrated five years as a Grand Ole Opry member over the weekend.
- Jett Williams did a short and sweet interview over at Nashville Gab regarding The Last Ride: A Story of Hank Williams. Saving Country Music reviewed the film, writing, “Though The Last Ride makes some headway in helping to cover the Hank Williams storyline, and specifically his final days, it leaves the viewer a little wanting, while that one definitive film that rises to the mystique of Hank Williams himself remains elusive.”
- Chuck Dauphin featured The Roys at Billboard.com and included a video of the duo talking about their latest album, Gypsy Runaway Train.
- This year’s CMA Fest, despite being a wet one, hasn’t kept attendees away.
- Chris Parton reviewed the CMA Musical Festival for CMT.
- Ron Block’s new album, Walking Song, is coming out at the end of July on Rounder Records.
- You can buy Elvis Presley’s gold piano on eBay.
- Slaid Cleaves is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Ralph Stanley’s Labor Day bluegrass festival will return in 2014.
- A reminder to IBMA members: don’t forget to fill out your first round ballots; they’re due this afternoon.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Granger Smith – “Silverado Bench Seat”
David DiMuzio – “I Don’t Want to Do Anything Else”
Tim Hicks – “Hell Raisin’ Good Time”
Taylor Swift – “Everything Has Changed”
Carrie Underwood – “See You Again”
Trace Adkins and Colbie Caillat – “Watch the World End”
Florida Georgia Line – “Round Here”
The Lockets – “Stepping Stone”
The Defibulators – “Cackalacky”
Mavis Staples – “I Like the Things About Me”
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."