Randy Travis Releases George Jones Tribute Song; Julie Roberts Signs with Sun Records; New Music Videos
- Julie Roberts announced that she has been signed to Sun Records, making her the first artist to release a new album for the label in almost three decades. The album will be called Good Wine and Bad Decisions and will be released this fall.
- Randy Travis released a new song dedicated to George Jones. Listen to “Tonight I’m Playing Possum,” written by Keith Gattis and featuring Joe Nichols, here.
- Carrie Underwood celebrated five years as a Grand Ole Opry member over the weekend.
- Jett Williams did a short and sweet interview over at Nashville Gab regarding The Last Ride: A Story of Hank Williams. Saving Country Music reviewed the film, writing, “Though The Last Ride makes some headway in helping to cover the Hank Williams storyline, and specifically his final days, it leaves the viewer a little wanting, while that one definitive film that rises to the mystique of Hank Williams himself remains elusive.”
- Chuck Dauphin featured The Roys at Billboard.com and included a video of the duo talking about their latest album, Gypsy Runaway Train.
- This year’s CMA Fest, despite being a wet one, hasn’t kept attendees away.
- Chris Parton reviewed the CMA Musical Festival for CMT.
- Ron Block’s new album, Walking Song, is coming out at the end of July on Rounder Records.
- You can buy Elvis Presley’s gold piano on eBay.
- Slaid Cleaves is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Ralph Stanley’s Labor Day bluegrass festival will return in 2014.
- A reminder to IBMA members: don’t forget to fill out your first round ballots; they’re due this afternoon.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Granger Smith – “Silverado Bench Seat”
David DiMuzio – “I Don’t Want to Do Anything Else”
Tim Hicks – “Hell Raisin’ Good Time”
Taylor Swift – “Everything Has Changed”
Carrie Underwood – “See You Again”
Trace Adkins and Colbie Caillat – “Watch the World End”
Florida Georgia Line – “Round Here”
The Lockets – “Stepping Stone”
The Defibulators – “Cackalacky”
Mavis Staples – “I Like the Things About Me”
- Mike W: Really liking the new Ryan Bingham song, his last album really didnt do much for me, but this new song …
- nm: Oh, the old Sutler. The first time I visited Nashville, I went to a New Year's Eve show there: Lonesome …
- Tom: ...another "favorite child question". then again, what would the genre be without all the drama it's got to deal with. …
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …