Randy Travis, Joe Nichols to Release Albums in October; Stream Stuart Duncan/Dolly Parton Collaboration; Album Releases
- Randy Travis will release Influence, Vol. 1: The Man I Am on October 1. On this album, he’ll look back at “songs and artists that were instrumental in crafting his musical career;” the track listing includes “Thanks a Lot,” “Saginaw, Michigan,” and “Someday We’ll Look Back.” (via press release)
- Joe Nichols’ next album, Crickets, is coming out October 8.
- USA Today premiered Stuart Duncan and Dolly Parton’s version of “Listen to the Mockingbird” from upcoming Civil War collection Divided & United.
- English folk singer Louisa Jo Killen passed away at the age of 79 earlier this month. Born Louis Killen, Louisa Jo was a “bawdy, bearded pioneer of the 1950s British folk revival” who underwent sex reassignment surgery a few years ago.
- Don’t forget that WSM is broadcasting Alan Jackson’s Station Inn show tonight. Might as well tune in, since you won’t get in to the club anyway: folks have been lining up since yesterday afternoon like it’s a new Star Wars.
- Here’s Robbie Fulks’ “Long I Ride,” from his solid new album, Gone Away Backward.
- Missy Werner’s recording a new album, working with not only her band, but folks like Sierra Hull and Megan McCormick.
- Relix premiered a version of “Foggy Mountain Top” from Scranton string band Coal Town Rounders’ debut EP, Numero Uno.
- Stream Over the Rhine’s forthcoming double album Meet Me at the Edge of the World
- Larry Gatlin on today’s country artists: “People criticize the new artists sometimes, but I say ‘Wait a minute. You need to understand something. Ernest Tubb was different from Roy Acuff. Marty Robbins was different than Ernest Tubb. Ronnie Milsap was different from Marty. It doesn’t have to be exactly the same. I love the old traditional stuff, but let’s open our hearts and ears to these young people. Keith Urban was raised in Australia listening to country music, and he loves it. He honors it. Let’s don’t criticize because he rocks it up a little. That’s the way he feels it. I’m rooting for them.”
- Speaking of Keith Urban, RollingStone.com posted a behind-the-scenes video about his new album, Fuse.
- Brian T. Atkonson of CMT Edge interviewed Tim Easton.
- Blackberry Smoke is offering a free, acoustic version of “Ain’t Much Left of Me” for download.
- At 9 p.m. Eastern, Drew Kennedy is hosting an online listening party for his new album, Wide Listener.
- More than 100 winners were arrested at Country Fest on Friday.
- Remember when Americana singer-songwriter Kasey Anderson was arrested after taking more than $500,000 from investors to “fund” a bogus charity album? He recently pleaded guilty to wire fraud. Anderson faces up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
- Album releases (thanks for purchasing stuff through our affiliate links — it doesn’t cost you extra, but we get a small percentage that helps cover the server costs):
Robbie Fulks – Gone Away Backward
Sam Baker – Say Grace
Chris Jones & The Night Drivers – Lonely Comes Easy
The Coal Men – Escalator
Big Sandy & His Fly-Rite Boys – What a Dream It’s Been
Missy Raines & The New Hip – New Frontier
Austin Lucas – Reckless
Alabama – Alabama & Friends
Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers – Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers
The Rides – Can’t Get Enough
Foy Vance – Joy of Nothing
Taylor Faith – Country Summer
The Defibulators – Debt’ll Get ‘Em
Sundy Best – Door Without a Screen: Deluxe Edition
Carly Ritter – Carly Ritter
Lucy Ward – Single Flame
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …