Randy Travis, Joe Nichols to Release Albums in October; Stream Stuart Duncan/Dolly Parton Collaboration; Album Releases
- Randy Travis will release Influence, Vol. 1: The Man I Am on October 1. On this album, he’ll look back at “songs and artists that were instrumental in crafting his musical career;” the track listing includes “Thanks a Lot,” “Saginaw, Michigan,” and “Someday We’ll Look Back.” (via press release)
- Joe Nichols’ next album, Crickets, is coming out October 8.
- USA Today premiered Stuart Duncan and Dolly Parton’s version of “Listen to the Mockingbird” from upcoming Civil War collection Divided & United.
- English folk singer Louisa Jo Killen passed away at the age of 79 earlier this month. Born Louis Killen, Louisa Jo was a “bawdy, bearded pioneer of the 1950s British folk revival” who underwent sex reassignment surgery a few years ago.
- Don’t forget that WSM is broadcasting Alan Jackson’s Station Inn show tonight. Might as well tune in, since you won’t get in to the club anyway: folks have been lining up since yesterday afternoon like it’s a new Star Wars.
- Here’s Robbie Fulks’ “Long I Ride,” from his solid new album, Gone Away Backward.
- Missy Werner’s recording a new album, working with not only her band, but folks like Sierra Hull and Megan McCormick.
- Relix premiered a version of “Foggy Mountain Top” from Scranton string band Coal Town Rounders’ debut EP, Numero Uno.
- Stream Over the Rhine’s forthcoming double album Meet Me at the Edge of the World
- Larry Gatlin on today’s country artists: “People criticize the new artists sometimes, but I say ‘Wait a minute. You need to understand something. Ernest Tubb was different from Roy Acuff. Marty Robbins was different than Ernest Tubb. Ronnie Milsap was different from Marty. It doesn’t have to be exactly the same. I love the old traditional stuff, but let’s open our hearts and ears to these young people. Keith Urban was raised in Australia listening to country music, and he loves it. He honors it. Let’s don’t criticize because he rocks it up a little. That’s the way he feels it. I’m rooting for them.”
- Speaking of Keith Urban, RollingStone.com posted a behind-the-scenes video about his new album, Fuse.
- Brian T. Atkonson of CMT Edge interviewed Tim Easton.
- Blackberry Smoke is offering a free, acoustic version of “Ain’t Much Left of Me” for download.
- At 9 p.m. Eastern, Drew Kennedy is hosting an online listening party for his new album, Wide Listener.
- More than 100 winners were arrested at Country Fest on Friday.
- Remember when Americana singer-songwriter Kasey Anderson was arrested after taking more than $500,000 from investors to “fund” a bogus charity album? He recently pleaded guilty to wire fraud. Anderson faces up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
- Album releases (thanks for purchasing stuff through our affiliate links — it doesn’t cost you extra, but we get a small percentage that helps cover the server costs):
Robbie Fulks – Gone Away Backward
Sam Baker – Say Grace
Chris Jones & The Night Drivers – Lonely Comes Easy
The Coal Men – Escalator
Big Sandy & His Fly-Rite Boys – What a Dream It’s Been
Missy Raines & The New Hip – New Frontier
Austin Lucas – Reckless
Alabama – Alabama & Friends
Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers – Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers
The Rides – Can’t Get Enough
Foy Vance – Joy of Nothing
Taylor Faith – Country Summer
The Defibulators – Debt’ll Get ‘Em
Sundy Best – Door Without a Screen: Deluxe Edition
Carly Ritter – Carly Ritter
Lucy Ward – Single Flame
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …