Randy Travis, Joe Nichols to Release Albums in October; Stream Stuart Duncan/Dolly Parton Collaboration; Album Releases
- Randy Travis will release Influence, Vol. 1: The Man I Am on October 1. On this album, he’ll look back at “songs and artists that were instrumental in crafting his musical career;” the track listing includes “Thanks a Lot,” “Saginaw, Michigan,” and “Someday We’ll Look Back.” (via press release)
- Joe Nichols’ next album, Crickets, is coming out October 8.
- USA Today premiered Stuart Duncan and Dolly Parton’s version of “Listen to the Mockingbird” from upcoming Civil War collection Divided & United.
- English folk singer Louisa Jo Killen passed away at the age of 79 earlier this month. Born Louis Killen, Louisa Jo was a “bawdy, bearded pioneer of the 1950s British folk revival” who underwent sex reassignment surgery a few years ago.
- Don’t forget that WSM is broadcasting Alan Jackson’s Station Inn show tonight. Might as well tune in, since you won’t get in to the club anyway: folks have been lining up since yesterday afternoon like it’s a new Star Wars.
- Here’s Robbie Fulks’ “Long I Ride,” from his solid new album, Gone Away Backward.
- Missy Werner’s recording a new album, working with not only her band, but folks like Sierra Hull and Megan McCormick.
- Relix premiered a version of “Foggy Mountain Top” from Scranton string band Coal Town Rounders’ debut EP, Numero Uno.
- Stream Over the Rhine’s forthcoming double album Meet Me at the Edge of the World
- Larry Gatlin on today’s country artists: “People criticize the new artists sometimes, but I say ‘Wait a minute. You need to understand something. Ernest Tubb was different from Roy Acuff. Marty Robbins was different than Ernest Tubb. Ronnie Milsap was different from Marty. It doesn’t have to be exactly the same. I love the old traditional stuff, but let’s open our hearts and ears to these young people. Keith Urban was raised in Australia listening to country music, and he loves it. He honors it. Let’s don’t criticize because he rocks it up a little. That’s the way he feels it. I’m rooting for them.”
- Speaking of Keith Urban, RollingStone.com posted a behind-the-scenes video about his new album, Fuse.
- Brian T. Atkonson of CMT Edge interviewed Tim Easton.
- Blackberry Smoke is offering a free, acoustic version of “Ain’t Much Left of Me” for download.
- At 9 p.m. Eastern, Drew Kennedy is hosting an online listening party for his new album, Wide Listener.
- More than 100 winners were arrested at Country Fest on Friday.
- Remember when Americana singer-songwriter Kasey Anderson was arrested after taking more than $500,000 from investors to “fund” a bogus charity album? He recently pleaded guilty to wire fraud. Anderson faces up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
- Album releases (thanks for purchasing stuff through our affiliate links — it doesn’t cost you extra, but we get a small percentage that helps cover the server costs):
Robbie Fulks – Gone Away Backward
Sam Baker – Say Grace
Chris Jones & The Night Drivers – Lonely Comes Easy
The Coal Men – Escalator
Big Sandy & His Fly-Rite Boys – What a Dream It’s Been
Missy Raines & The New Hip – New Frontier
Austin Lucas – Reckless
Alabama – Alabama & Friends
Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers – Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers
The Rides – Can’t Get Enough
Foy Vance – Joy of Nothing
Taylor Faith – Country Summer
The Defibulators – Debt’ll Get ‘Em
Sundy Best – Door Without a Screen: Deluxe Edition
Carly Ritter – Carly Ritter
Lucy Ward – Single Flame
- bob: Enjoyed the Himes article on classic baseball songs. Thanks. Himes also mentioned some books. To those he noted I would …
- luckyoldsun: Well it probably wasn't Larry Gatlin.
- A.B.: Anyone else think Marty Stuart might be part of Lakehouse Holdings that bought the Johnny Cash/Barry Gibb property?
- David Cantwell: Thanks, Andrew. It almost seems inevitable that the greatest singers--Sinatra and George Jones, say--just don't sing so well at the …
- Andrew: Very well put. I don't remember the last time an album gave me chills right from the opening note quite …
- TX Music Jim: All valid choices. I will forever hold out the hope that Gram Parsons, Jerry Jeff Walker and Gary Stewart will …
- Leeann Ward: Oops...the link: http://www.engine145.com/summer-lovin-ronnie-milsap-looks-back-new-album/
- Leeann Ward: Yes, great choices for inductees! In Milsap's case, I guess if you say it to Juli Thanki, it will happen!:): Do …
- Paul W Dennis: Delighted to see "The Voice With A Heart" being inducted - he is my all-time favorite bluegrass vocalist. Hank Cochran …
- luckyoldsun: I don't know what exactly makes one a national treasure, but I'd give that appellation to Mac Wiseman before the …