Randy Travis Hospitalized; Dierks Bentley Plans Prescott, Arizona Benefit Show; New Album Releases
- Yesterday afternoon, news about Randy Travis’ hospitalization hit the internet. Travis was admitted to a Texas hospital on Sunday due to complications from viral cardiomyopathy; he’s currently listed in critical condition. UPDATE: Travis had a left ventricular assist device implanted, reports MusicRow.com.
- Dawn Sears discusses her battle with Stage 3 lung cancer in this WSMV piece. An excerpt: With just two rounds of chemotherapy and one radiation treatment left, Sears feels so good right now she is going to sing with the group at its regular Nashville show Monday evening. “Coming from the dark side to now, I’m pretty good,” she said.
- USA Today premiered Glen Campbell’s new recording of “Hey Little One,” which will be on his next album, See You There (out August 13).
- Ed Hardy has been named interim CMA CEO.
- On July 22, Dierks Bentley will host a benefit show to raise money for the families of the 19 firefighters who lost their lives in Arizona last week. Other performers will be announced in the coming days.
- Willie Nelson: singer, songwriter, actor, author, supermodel.
- Steep Canyon Rangers will release their next album, Tell the Ones I Love, on Rounder Records September 10. (via press release)
- Roy Clark recently celebrated his 80th birthday, but it doesn’t sound like he’ll slow down any time soon.
- Jewly Hight’s interview with Valerie June is mighty entertaining. An excerpt: Sometimes I get a little flack from folks at home [in Tennessee]. They’ll be like, “How can you sing about killin’ somebody and then break off into ‘This World Is Not My Home’ gospel and then go into something about wearing no drawers?” To me, this is life, and the preacher is probably screwing around with the ladies in the church anyway. These are just stories. Just take ‘em lightly.
- Saving Country Music posted a fine interview with Lindi Ortega.
- Paste premiered a new Ben Sollee song.
- Will Hoge’s “Strong” will be included in a new Chevy ad campaign.
- In other advertising news, Kacey Musgraves is part of Oreo’s new “Wonderfilled” campaign.
- John C. Reilly is working on “rootsy folk and Americana covers” in hopes of releasing a full-length album on Third Man Records.
- Courtney Jaye is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Alan Light wrote a New York Times feature on Preservation Hall Jazz Band.
- Bernie Leadon is touring with the Eagles for the first time in nearly 40 years.
- Steve Wariner will release his next album, It Ain’t All Bad, on September 10.
- Robert Ellis is featured on RollingStone.com.
- On August 5, Cracker Barrel will release a Clint Black compilation album that will include three new songs.
- This week’s album releases (Thanks to those who purchase through our affiliate links below. It doesn’t cost you extra, but it helps us keep the lights on):
The Deadly Gentlemen – Roll Me, Tumble Me
Earl Poole Ball – Pianography
Preservation Hall Jazz Band – That’s It!
Travis Tritt – The Calm After…
Jason Davis – Second Time Around
Head for the Hills – Blue Ruin
Scud Mountain Boys – Do You Love the Sun
Michelle Wright – Strong
Michael Martin Murphey – Red River Drifter
Short Straw Pickers – Upon That Hill
Various Artists – The Chicago Blues Box: The MCM Records Story
- luckyoldsun: Someone should do a feature on the current "next generation" sons-of-superstar country artists--Hank III, Shooter Jennings, Bobby Bare Jr., Dean …
- Jack: Not impressed by Justin Townes Earle's low view of country music.
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …