Ralph Stanley’s His Own Favorite Entertainer; ‘All For The Hall’ Benefit; BR549 Not Done
- The New York Times‘ Charles McGrath interviewed Ralph Stanley before a recent concert:
There are a lot of good bluegrass players these days, Mr. Martin among them, but Mr. Stanley said he didn’t listen to them much. He prefers to listen to the Stanley Brothers.
“I may be a little prejudiced, but I like my own music,” he said, and he smiled for an instant. “I guess I’m about my favorite entertainer.”
Stanley’s autobiography, Man of Constant Sorrow: My Life and Times, will be released tomorrow.
- In exchange for a tweet, Sugarland will allow fans to stream its new Christmas album for one week. (via Country Weekly)
- World Cafe host David Dye introduced Sarah Siskind with an interview and four song performance, which NPR amended with a web-only medley featuring Siskind opening with an a cappella performance of “Go” before segueing into “Lone Tree.”
- The Tennessean‘s Peter Cooper crunched a few numbers and recapped last night’s start-studded, mega “We’re All For The Hall” concert in Nashville.
Nine country stars took the big stage, with the show’s second half evolving into a jam session in which Urban and Country Music Hall of Fame board president Vince Gill volleyed guitar riffs back and forth in service to songs from Taylor Swift, Faith Hill, Dierks Bentley, Jason Aldean, Lady Antebellum and Little Big Town.
- Country California is giving away a Whitney Duncan engraved iPod Shuffle and several autographed copies of her EP Selections from Right Road Now.
Taylor Swift received six American Music Awards nominations, two of which came in the country genre. Here’s how the rest of the country categories rounded out:
COUNTRY — Favorite Male Artist
- Jason Aldean
- Darius Rucker
- Keith Urban
COUNTRY — Favorite Female Artist
- Reba McEntire
- Taylor Swift
- Carrie Underwood
COUNTRY — Favorite Band, Duo or Group
- Rascal Flatts
- Zac Brown Band
COUNTRY — Favorite Album
- Unstoppable — Rascal Flatts
- Fearless — Taylor Swift
- Foundation — Zac Brown Band
- The Rounder Records 40th anniversary bash on Monday experienced a few hiccups due to filming, but Jewly Hight says “the night accomplished exactly what it was meant to—stylishly highlighting Rounder’s creative, cultural and commercial success story.”
- Bob Lefsetz on the Randy Rogers Band: “Acts like Randy Rogers are the future.”
- LeAnn Rimes‘ confessed that her personal life inspired songs on her next album, due out in the spring.
- Listen to The Flatlanders perform several songs from its latest album and one from its previous studio release on Mountain Stage.
- The Inspirational Country Music Awards are set to take place tomorrow. Check The Tennessean for a list of nominees.
Music Fog videos:
- Guy Clark bootleg at The Belcourt Theater? Yes please.
- Elvis Fontenot attended a Dale Watson/Chuck Mead/Redd Volkaert/Mark Miller concert a couple of days ago and posted some fantastic pictures to his No Depression blog. And for the BR549 fans, Mead announced that the band is not done.
- Bob Lefsetz on Jamey Johnson: “Last night Jamey Johnson hit the ball so hard, so long, that it still can’t be found.”
- Friendly reminder: Don’t forget to tune into WSM tonight to catch the inaugural “Music City Roots: Live From The Loveless Cafe” show at 7pm CST. Emmylou Harris will be there.
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY