Ralph Stanley Turns 87; Reba, Loretta, and Bobby Bare to Play Johnny Cash Music Fest; New Album Releases
- Ralph Stanley (who turns 87 today) celebrated his birthday with a concert last Saturday.
- Singer Penny DeHaven passed away on Sunday. She was 65.
- Bluegrass Today reports that Craig Wood, who was arrested for abducting and murdering 10-year old Hailey Owens, was part of the Springfield, Missouri bluegrass scene. Local music store The Acoustic Shoppe is raising funds for the Hailey Owens Memorial Fund if you’d like to donate.
- Brennen Leigh and Noel McKay played “Breaking Up is Easy” for CMT Edge.
- In April, Reba McEntire, Kenny Rogers, and The Band Perry will appear at Celebrity Fight Night, which, as it turns out, is a charity event and not an actual boxing match, so you won’t get to see Reba—Fight Night’s longtime emcee –TKO both Perry brothers even though we all know she totally could.
- Reba, Bobby Bare, and Loretta Lynn will headline the fourth annual Johnny Cash Music Festival on August 15 in Jonesboro, Arkansas.
- Creative Loafing Atlanta takes a look at Alejandro Escovedo’s “punk melting pot.”
- Davis Inman (American Songwriter) selected five Chicago songwriters you need to hear. I’m digging Matt Campbell.
- Trisha Yearwood told the Chicago Sun-Times about her solo tour and her marriage, which is “so truly happy it makes you want to puke.”
- Audio restoration engineer Michael Graves, who’s worked for labels like the historically-focused Dust-to-Digital, talks about his work in this interesting piece broadcast last week on WABE.
- The 2013 MusiCares Person of the Year concert saluting Bruce Springsteen will be released on DVD March 25; it includes performances by Neil Young, Jackson Browne, and Kenny Chesney.
- American Songwriter premiered Alana Amram & The Rough Gems’ “People Like to Talk.”
- Robert Loss wrote a fine feature on Lydia Loveless for PopMatters.
- Maggie Rose is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Dierks Bentley discusses Riser with Chuck Dauphin of The 615.
- “Folkboat soon will be making another run/The Folkboat promises something for everyone.”
- Guitarist Grant Gordy has left the David Grisman Quintet; Gordy, who is based in New York City, is now playing in several different projects, including a band with Darol Anger and Joe Walsh.
- This week’s album releases (thank you for supporting E145 by purchasing music through our affiliate links below):
Dierks Bentley – Riser
Levi Lowrey – Levi Lowrey
D. Charles Speer & The Helix – Doubled Exposure
The Far West – Any Day Now
Wyatt Easterling – Goodbye-Hello
David G. Smith – One House
Cowboy Dave – Driven Man
- A DVD:
- And a couple books:
Patrick Huber, Steve Goodson and David M. Anderson (editors) – The Hank Williams Reader
Michael Streissguth – Outlaw: Waylon, Willie, Kris, and the Renegades of Nashville (now in paperback)
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.