Ralph Stanley Turns 87; Reba, Loretta, and Bobby Bare to Play Johnny Cash Music Fest; New Album Releases
- Ralph Stanley (who turns 87 today) celebrated his birthday with a concert last Saturday.
- Singer Penny DeHaven passed away on Sunday. She was 65.
- Bluegrass Today reports that Craig Wood, who was arrested for abducting and murdering 10-year old Hailey Owens, was part of the Springfield, Missouri bluegrass scene. Local music store The Acoustic Shoppe is raising funds for the Hailey Owens Memorial Fund if you’d like to donate.
- Brennen Leigh and Noel McKay played “Breaking Up is Easy” for CMT Edge.
- In April, Reba McEntire, Kenny Rogers, and The Band Perry will appear at Celebrity Fight Night, which, as it turns out, is a charity event and not an actual boxing match, so you won’t get to see Reba—Fight Night’s longtime emcee –TKO both Perry brothers even though we all know she totally could.
- Reba, Bobby Bare, and Loretta Lynn will headline the fourth annual Johnny Cash Music Festival on August 15 in Jonesboro, Arkansas.
- Creative Loafing Atlanta takes a look at Alejandro Escovedo’s “punk melting pot.”
- Davis Inman (American Songwriter) selected five Chicago songwriters you need to hear. I’m digging Matt Campbell.
- Trisha Yearwood told the Chicago Sun-Times about her solo tour and her marriage, which is “so truly happy it makes you want to puke.”
- Audio restoration engineer Michael Graves, who’s worked for labels like the historically-focused Dust-to-Digital, talks about his work in this interesting piece broadcast last week on WABE.
- The 2013 MusiCares Person of the Year concert saluting Bruce Springsteen will be released on DVD March 25; it includes performances by Neil Young, Jackson Browne, and Kenny Chesney.
- American Songwriter premiered Alana Amram & The Rough Gems’ “People Like to Talk.”
- Robert Loss wrote a fine feature on Lydia Loveless for PopMatters.
- Maggie Rose is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Dierks Bentley discusses Riser with Chuck Dauphin of The 615.
- “Folkboat soon will be making another run/The Folkboat promises something for everyone.”
- Guitarist Grant Gordy has left the David Grisman Quintet; Gordy, who is based in New York City, is now playing in several different projects, including a band with Darol Anger and Joe Walsh.
- This week’s album releases (thank you for supporting E145 by purchasing music through our affiliate links below):
Dierks Bentley – Riser
Levi Lowrey – Levi Lowrey
D. Charles Speer & The Helix – Doubled Exposure
The Far West – Any Day Now
Wyatt Easterling – Goodbye-Hello
David G. Smith – One House
Cowboy Dave – Driven Man
- A DVD:
- And a couple books:
Patrick Huber, Steve Goodson and David M. Anderson (editors) – The Hank Williams Reader
Michael Streissguth – Outlaw: Waylon, Willie, Kris, and the Renegades of Nashville (now in paperback)
- luckyoldsun: And sometimes she breaks into "I Fought the Law and the Law Won."
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …