Radney Foster’s Next Record Due in May; Watch How to Write a Banjo Concerto Trailer; New Album Releases
- A third person died from injuries sustained in last week’s SXSW tragedy.
- Radney Foster will release Everything I Should Have Said on his own Devil’s River label May 13. (via press release)
- Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison announced a bunch of tour dates; according to a post on Willis’ Facebook page, the duo is gearing up to release another album, which is some damn fine news indeed.
- Watch the trailer for new documentary How to Write a Banjo Concerto. (The first step in writing a banjo concerto: be Bela Fleck.) The film will be screened later this month at the Green Mountain Film Festival in Vermont.
- You’ve got a little less than 24 hours to download Chris King’s 1983 for free.
- Antigone Rising played “That Was the Whiskey” in the USA Today studios. (warning: autoplay)
- Attention, collectors and wealthy eccentrics: a cape made for Elvis Presley to wear during his Aloha from Hawaii show is going up for auction. Presley didn’t actually wear it during the show; during rehearsals, he found the 12-pound, bejeweled cape too heavy.
- John Carter Cash talks about his father’s “lost” album, Out Among the Stars (you can stream the record here), in this interview posted on TheDailyBeast.com.
- Next month’s ACM Awards, hosted by the worst pairing since Leopold and Loeb, Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton, will be broadcast live in Australia on the morning of April 7.
- Simone Felice is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Kellie Pickler wants to use your photos in her new music video.
- Bill Anderson, Del McCoury, Ketch Secor, and Ricky Skaggs are among the artists who shared their Opry memories with Garden & Gun.
- Stream Robby Hecht’s new, self-titled album and/or ATO Records’ upcoming salute to the ‘80s output of Bob Dylan (the compilation features Langhorne Slim, Dawn Landes, and others).
- Brandy Clark will appear on Ellen Thursday. (via press release)
- Check out John Nemeth’s soulful “Sooner or Later.”
- John Marks, SiriusXM’s senior director of country music programming, on the difference between satellite and terrestrial radio playlists: “[The] metrics are a little bit different. We have a little more freedom to be able to stretch the boundaries of what would be conventional in country music. And because Highway listeners are paying for the experience, it’s becoming expected that we provide, as a part of that service, a curated list of music that is typically not available in any other radio outlet. We work to achieve that by just trying to find the best new and interesting music that we can from whatever source happens to provide it at the time.”
- Peggy Seeger talks about her brother and folk music in this Chicago Sun-Times interview.
- Breaking Grass has signed with Mountain Fever Records. The band will release a new album this summer. (via press release)
- Lydia Loveless is putting out a 7” on Record Store Day.
- When Clinch Mountain Boy Dewey Brown III isn’t backing Ralph Stanley, he’s running his own music store and teaching young fiddle players in Graham, North Carolina.
- This week’s album releases (thank you for helping support E145 by purchasing your music through the below affiliate links):
Ronnie Milsap – Summer Number Seventeen
Ray Price – Beauty Is… (EP)
E-and’a – E-and’a
Jessi Colter – Live from Cain’s Ballroom
Luther Dickinson – Rock ‘n Roll Blues
Lost and Nameless – Empty Spaces
Eliza Gilkyson – The Nocturne Diaries
Nick Moss Band – Time Ain’t Free
Sandra Rhodes – Where’s Your Love Been?
Jo Dee Messina – Me
Riley Etheridge, Jr. – The Straight and Narrow Way
John Oates – Good Road to Follow
Dex Romweber Duo – Images 13
Judy Collins – Live in Ireland
Waylon Jennings – Right for the Time (Remembered)
Shooter Jennings – The Other Live
- And a book:
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …