Purported Bob Dylan Poem Is Actually A Hank Snow Song
- Christie’s announced yesterday that a poem written by Bob Dylan when he was 16 would be up for auction, however a reader alerted Reuters that the lyrics matched “Little Buddy,” a song previously recorded by Hank Snow. Christie’s response:
“This still remains among the earliest known handwritten lyrics of Bob Dylan and Christie’s is pleased to offer them in our Pop Culture auction on June 23.”
- Dualtone Records is hosting a lyrics contest that ties in with the release of Guy Clark‘s new album, Somedays the Song Writes You, on September 22. The winner will receive a trip to Nashville, hotel accomodations and a co-writing session with Clark.
- Officials ruled the recent death of George Strait‘s brother, John “Buddy” Strait, accidental. They concluded that he died of methadone toxicity and heart disease.
- Alt-512 Music Musings provided audio to the second installment of the Mean Eyed Cat Songwriter Night, hosted by Lew Card of the Gunhands and featuring Betty Soo, Jenny Parrott (of Shotgun Party), Joey Thompson (of the Archibalds) and Jubal Lee Young.
- Also on Alt-512 is audio from a recent Jason Eady & The Wayward Apostles show at Momo’s.
- The video for Justin Moore‘s “Small Town USA” is one of the iTunes free downloads this week. (iTunes)
- Rumor has it that Jennifer Love Hewitt plans to release a country album.
- A panel of Gary Burr, Chris DuBois and Rusty Gaston discussed the relevance of hard times on country songwriting in an interview with Randy Rudder.
Can a song that deals realistically with serious issues turn listeners off?
Burr: Some people want to be taken out of their current circumstances when they listen to music. So when times are bad like they are now, people want to hear songs and stories that take them out of that. Maybe that’s why songs about their current circumstances might be the last thing they want to hear.
- Dehlia Low’s Anya Hinkle shared her thoughts on the final weekend of recording for the band’s new album Tellico and her reactions on hearing the rough mixes for the first time.
- This week’s edition of Country Quizzin’ is all about country chart trivia.
- Emerson Drive’s Brad Mates and Dale Wallace are scheduled to return to The Porter Wagoner Memorial Artists & Anglers Fishing Tournament on June 9, along with Bobby Bare, Mel Tillis, Jeff Cook, Jon Randall and Trent Wilmon. Newcomers this year include Little Jimmy Dickens, Eric Church, Dean Brody, Sammy Kershaw, Mica Roberts and Daryl Singletary.
- Keith Urban and Steve Martin will perform on tonight’s season finale of American Idol.
- Melodic Sunburst’s Carolyn Dixon reviewed Better Times Will Come, the new album from Diana Jones, for her first article on Country California.
Better Times Will Come is a composite portrait of America’s citizens. The album’s characters (both real and based on real-life persons) include a female Iraq War veteran, lonely foster children, a potential murderess, struggling mothers and their offspring, and a trapped miner. Full of pride, rage, and loneliness, the protagonists are given distinct voices. Jones’ character portrayals are not limited to the lemonade-selling, happy-go-lucky, hell-raising caricatures that inhabit some contemporary county compositions. This isn’t Rodney Atkins’ America; it is infinitely more compelling.
- Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder, Sam Bush, David Grisman and Tim O’Brien are a handful of artists who contributed to to the new album The Road Home – A Tribute To Butch Baldassari.
- For all our Austin readers, the New American Voices Tour with Drew Kennedy and Rodney Hayden hits Patsy’s Cowgirl Cafe this Friday (May 22).
- NPR’s Fresh Air host Terry Gross has an interview with John Doe about his interest in country music along with a few performances.
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.