President Bush Parodies “Green, Green Grass of Home”
- Here’s a YouTube video of President Bush singing a parody of “Green, Green Grass of Home” at the Gridiron Club’s Annual Spring Dinner on March 8th.
- Taylor Swift thinks the problem labels are having with trying to capture a younger audience is due to them trying too hard.
“There are record labels that are admitting to the fact that they’re trying to copy the “model” that has worked for Taylor Swift and Big Machine Records. And the thing is, we just didn’t know any better . . . there really was no business model to make it work for the younger demographic. If we can relate to lyrics, then we’re going to buy the music, and I don’t think that’s a hard formula to figure out.”
- In light of St. Patrick’s day (which was yesterday) Country Universe wants to know your favorite drinking songs.
- The ten most influential women of country music according to Shelly Fabian.
- Alan Jackson’s wife, Denise, has a new book coming out on May 13 titled “The Road Home.”
- More SXSW goodness from Craig Shelburne. He says Justin Townes Earle was the name he heard most when comparing notes with other writers and calls Bruce Robison’s singing voice perfect for a lazy day.
- Justin Towns Earle talks a little music philosophy with Holly Gleason for the Los Angeles Times.
“People should write about what they know,” he says. “These 19-year-old New York kids writing about plowhorses? I was born and raised in south Nashville. I like cows, but I’ve never worked ‘em. Don’t own a ’32 Ford pickup. I’m writing a murder ballad right now . . . and the killer drives a ’93 Taurus.
“Forms are forms, and they should be honored, but anything else? I write about city girls, because that’s what I know.”
- Andrew Dansby says Earle has a Hank Williams vibe going on and that Hayes Carll’s set confirmed his new album Trouble In Mind is a corker.
- Although they’re all sold out, these Jon Langford paintings are pretty sweet and still nice to look at. There’s a few Hank Williams, some Johnny Cash, The Carter Family, Gene Autry, Gram Parsons and more.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.