President Bush Parodies “Green, Green Grass of Home”
- Here’s a YouTube video of President Bush singing a parody of “Green, Green Grass of Home” at the Gridiron Club’s Annual Spring Dinner on March 8th.
- Taylor Swift thinks the problem labels are having with trying to capture a younger audience is due to them trying too hard.
“There are record labels that are admitting to the fact that they’re trying to copy the “model” that has worked for Taylor Swift and Big Machine Records. And the thing is, we just didn’t know any better . . . there really was no business model to make it work for the younger demographic. If we can relate to lyrics, then we’re going to buy the music, and I don’t think that’s a hard formula to figure out.”
- In light of St. Patrick’s day (which was yesterday) Country Universe wants to know your favorite drinking songs.
- The ten most influential women of country music according to Shelly Fabian.
- Alan Jackson’s wife, Denise, has a new book coming out on May 13 titled “The Road Home.”
- More SXSW goodness from Craig Shelburne. He says Justin Townes Earle was the name he heard most when comparing notes with other writers and calls Bruce Robison’s singing voice perfect for a lazy day.
- Justin Towns Earle talks a little music philosophy with Holly Gleason for the Los Angeles Times.
“People should write about what they know,” he says. “These 19-year-old New York kids writing about plowhorses? I was born and raised in south Nashville. I like cows, but I’ve never worked ‘em. Don’t own a ’32 Ford pickup. I’m writing a murder ballad right now . . . and the killer drives a ’93 Taurus.
“Forms are forms, and they should be honored, but anything else? I write about city girls, because that’s what I know.”
- Andrew Dansby says Earle has a Hank Williams vibe going on and that Hayes Carll’s set confirmed his new album Trouble In Mind is a corker.
- Although they’re all sold out, these Jon Langford paintings are pretty sweet and still nice to look at. There’s a few Hank Williams, some Johnny Cash, The Carter Family, Gene Autry, Gram Parsons and more.
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.