Phil Ramone Passes Away; Lone Star Music Awards Lineup Announced; New Music Videos
- Producer Phil Ramone passed away on Saturday at the age of 79. The legendary producer, who won 14 Grammys over the course of his career, worked with everyone from Ray Charles to Shelby Lynne.
- There will be a benefit concert tonight in Nashville to help offset some of Gregg Lohman’s health care bills. Lohman is Kellie Pickler’s drummer and was injured in a car accident in early March.
- Brantley Gilbert posted a demo of “One Hell of an Amen,” a song that was inspired by his recent USO trip.
- Jack Ingram has a new record deal in place. He will announce the label and a new single within the new few weeks. (a tip from Ingram’s management)
- Meet the North Pacific String Band.
- Blake Shelton has a brand new “band.” He debuted The Chickeneers on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last week.
- Shelton and his fellow ACM Awards host Luke Bryan will co-host The Talk on Thursday.
- Peter Cooper wrote about Dixie Hall, who produced a “69-song boxed set of self-penned bluegrass songs” performed by the Daughters of Bluegrass collective.
- Willie Nelson will appear in a new animated Cheech and Chong video. I’m guessing you know what the video is about.
- Megadeth’s Dave Mustaine has approached Nelson about appearing on the metal band’s next album.
- Sugarland’s Kristian Bush released a solo single in Europe.
- Alabama released its summer tour schedule.
- Tune into American Idol on Thursday if you’d like to hear Casey James premiere his new single, “The Good Life.”
- John Saroyan praises The Gibson Brothers’ new album on No Depression: “Eric and Leigh Gibson have opened up their hearts wide with They Called It Music (Compass Records, 2013), an exquisite album of aching songs recorded at the end of 2012, less than a year after the death of their father. The charging intuitive ensemble rings with lump-in-your-throat truths and Gibson trademark harmonies.”
- The lineup of performers for the 5th Annual Lone Star Music Awards was announced. Robert Earl Keen, Ray Wylie Hubbard, and John Fullbright are scheduled to appear at the April 28 event.
- The Chicago-based bluegrass band The Henhouse Prowlers had their gear stolen in Oakland last week.
- Galveston is finally using Glen Campbell’s song in a tourism campaign.
- We missed the release of Chic Gamine’s Closer earlier this month. The Juno-nominated band has been recently touring with Marc Broussard and you can hear the title track of the group’s new album here.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Alan Jackson – “Precious Memories”
Katie Armiger – “Playin’ with Fire”
Corey Colum – “Hot Out Here”
Smokestack Lightnin’ – “Swamp Country”
Eric Church – “Over When It’s Over”
Joe Diffie, Sammy Kershaw & Aaron Tippin – “All in the Same Boat”
Thompson Square – “Won’t Back Down”
Chris Janson – “Better I Don’t”
Hellbound Glory – “Lost Cause”
Ty Stone – “Bob Seger”
The Steel Wheels – “Walk Away”
The Whispering Tree – “Where Have You Gone”
Samantha Landrum – “Hometown”
- bob: Enjoyed the Himes article on classic baseball songs. Thanks. Himes also mentioned some books. To those he noted I would …
- luckyoldsun: Well it probably wasn't Larry Gatlin.
- A.B.: Anyone else think Marty Stuart might be part of Lakehouse Holdings that bought the Johnny Cash/Barry Gibb property?
- David Cantwell: Thanks, Andrew. It almost seems inevitable that the greatest singers--Sinatra and George Jones, say--just don't sing so well at the …
- Andrew: Very well put. I don't remember the last time an album gave me chills right from the opening note quite …
- TX Music Jim: All valid choices. I will forever hold out the hope that Gram Parsons, Jerry Jeff Walker and Gary Stewart will …
- Leeann Ward: Oops...the link: http://www.engine145.com/summer-lovin-ronnie-milsap-looks-back-new-album/
- Leeann Ward: Yes, great choices for inductees! In Milsap's case, I guess if you say it to Juli Thanki, it will happen!:): Do …
- Paul W Dennis: Delighted to see "The Voice With A Heart" being inducted - he is my all-time favorite bluegrass vocalist. Hank Cochran …
- luckyoldsun: I don't know what exactly makes one a national treasure, but I'd give that appellation to Mac Wiseman before the …