Phil Ramone Passes Away; Lone Star Music Awards Lineup Announced; New Music Videos
- Producer Phil Ramone passed away on Saturday at the age of 79. The legendary producer, who won 14 Grammys over the course of his career, worked with everyone from Ray Charles to Shelby Lynne.
- There will be a benefit concert tonight in Nashville to help offset some of Gregg Lohman’s health care bills. Lohman is Kellie Pickler’s drummer and was injured in a car accident in early March.
- Brantley Gilbert posted a demo of “One Hell of an Amen,” a song that was inspired by his recent USO trip.
- Jack Ingram has a new record deal in place. He will announce the label and a new single within the new few weeks. (a tip from Ingram’s management)
- Meet the North Pacific String Band.
- Blake Shelton has a brand new “band.” He debuted The Chickeneers on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last week.
- Shelton and his fellow ACM Awards host Luke Bryan will co-host The Talk on Thursday.
- Peter Cooper wrote about Dixie Hall, who produced a “69-song boxed set of self-penned bluegrass songs” performed by the Daughters of Bluegrass collective.
- Willie Nelson will appear in a new animated Cheech and Chong video. I’m guessing you know what the video is about.
- Megadeth’s Dave Mustaine has approached Nelson about appearing on the metal band’s next album.
- Sugarland’s Kristian Bush released a solo single in Europe.
- Alabama released its summer tour schedule.
- Tune into American Idol on Thursday if you’d like to hear Casey James premiere his new single, “The Good Life.”
- John Saroyan praises The Gibson Brothers’ new album on No Depression: “Eric and Leigh Gibson have opened up their hearts wide with They Called It Music (Compass Records, 2013), an exquisite album of aching songs recorded at the end of 2012, less than a year after the death of their father. The charging intuitive ensemble rings with lump-in-your-throat truths and Gibson trademark harmonies.”
- The lineup of performers for the 5th Annual Lone Star Music Awards was announced. Robert Earl Keen, Ray Wylie Hubbard, and John Fullbright are scheduled to appear at the April 28 event.
- The Chicago-based bluegrass band The Henhouse Prowlers had their gear stolen in Oakland last week.
- Galveston is finally using Glen Campbell’s song in a tourism campaign.
- We missed the release of Chic Gamine’s Closer earlier this month. The Juno-nominated band has been recently touring with Marc Broussard and you can hear the title track of the group’s new album here.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Alan Jackson – “Precious Memories”
Katie Armiger – “Playin’ with Fire”
Corey Colum – “Hot Out Here”
Smokestack Lightnin’ – “Swamp Country”
Eric Church – “Over When It’s Over”
Joe Diffie, Sammy Kershaw & Aaron Tippin – “All in the Same Boat”
Thompson Square – “Won’t Back Down”
Chris Janson – “Better I Don’t”
Hellbound Glory – “Lost Cause”
Ty Stone – “Bob Seger”
The Steel Wheels – “Walk Away”
The Whispering Tree – “Where Have You Gone”
Samantha Landrum – “Hometown”
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …