Phil Everly Passes Away; NPR Premieres Rosanne Cash’s The River & The Thread; New Music Videos
- The Everly Brothers’ Phil Everly passed away at the age of 74 from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The former Grand Ole Opry member was an inductee of both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (class of 1986) and the Country Music Hall of Fame (class of 2001). Read obituaries from The New York Times, The Tennessean, Rolling Stone, and CNN.com.
- The good folks of Australia have put together a petition asking Garth Brooks to include them in his upcoming world tour.
- Marshall Chapman will play a “chain-smoking, seen-it-all blues singer” in an upcoming Ryan Reynolds movie called Mississippi Grind.
- Stream Rosanne Cash’s new album, The River & The Thread.
- Brandy Clark is in New York working on a Hee Haw musical.
- Our pal Stephen Deusner listed 10 Americana albums worth seeking out in 2014.
- Trey Gray, a drummer who has worked with Brooks and Dunn, Faith Hill, and Jewel, is one of seven people profiled in Alive and Well, a new documentary about people affected by the neurodegenerative disorder Huntington’s Disease (Woody Guthrie is perhaps the most famous person to have been diagnosed with the disease).
- Eddie Montgomery of Montgomery Gentry filed for bankruptcy.
- Jewly Hight of CMT Edge wrote a descriptive feature about the newly remodeled Musicians Hall of Fame inside Nashville’s Municipal Auditorium.
- Frankie Ballard released the cover art and track list for his February 11 release, Sunshine & Whiskey.
- Lady Antebellum released a behind-the-scenes teaser video for their upcoming Take Me Downtown Tour.
- Taylor Swift is in hot water with her Rhode Island neighbors, who’ve complained that construction on her property is restricting the use of the public beach. The 1,481,900 concert tickets Swift sold in 2013, making her the year’s highest grossing country touring act, probably will help her get over it, however.
- Eric Church released “Give Me Back My Hometown.” Listen to it and read a review on Saving Country Music.
- Looks like Tim McGraw might unveil some new music on January 13.
- After a four month hiatus, Music Fog is back with a new video: Guy Clark performing “El Coyote.”
- Clay Walker: “Traditional country music died…I don’t think you’ll see this town record what we call ‘traditional’ country music ever again. I believe that era is completely over.”
- Listen to the title track of Jason Eady’s new album, Daylight and Dark.
- George A. Collier, President of Aspirion Records and former executive for Decca, MCA, Atlantic and Arista, passed away on December 21 at the age of 69.
- Wayne Mills finished recording a new album shortly before he was murdered in November. Saving Country Music has more information as well as the track listing.
- Steel Guitar Hall of Fame member Johnny Sibert passed away on December 21 at the age of 80.
- Nominate your favorites for the 12th Annual Texas Music Awards, scheduled for March 22.
- Shooter Jennings is headed out on tour with his father’s backing band, Waymore’s Outlaws.
- Abigail Rene Evans, daughter of Texas singer/songwriter John Evans and the subject of the documentary The Merch Girl, passed away on December 23 at the age of 20.
- Windmill’s Musical Musings has a list of cuts and co-writes that are being considered for Miranda Lambert’s fifth solo album.
- Kellie Pickler wants to do a Tammy Wynette Broadway musical.
- Kacey Musgraves credits Radney Foster with helping to convince her to move to Nashville.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Driftwood – “The Sun’s Going Down”
Sarah Blacker – “Shiver”
Michael Christopher – “Keep It Country”
The Cadillac Three – “The South”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.