Peach Pickers In High Demand; Butch Hancock Closes Out ‘Iconic Years’ At Cactus Cafe; Bad ‘Carrie-Oke’
- The trio of Rhett Akins, Dallas Davidson, and Ben Hayslip has quickly become a hot commodity in the country music songwriting realm. All three being from Georgia, they’ve embraced their newfound collective notoriety and dubbed themselves the Peach Pickers.
The three friends scored their first hit as a songwriting trio in 2008 with Brooks & Dunn’s “Put a Girl in It,” which reached No. 3 on Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart. They also collaborated on Jack Ingram’s 2009 top 10 hit, “Barefoot and Crazy,” and Joe Nichols’ “Gimmie That Girl,” which topped the chart in May.
The songwriting trio has three songs on the current chart: Blake Shelton’s “All About Tonight” (No. 5), Josh Turner’s “All Over Me” (No. 12) and Nichols’ “The Shape I’m In” (No. 47). The trio also has seven cuts on forthcoming albums by Tim McGraw, Colt Ford, Craig Morgan, Frankie Ballard and Kevin Fowler.
- George Richey, longtime husband of Tammy Wynette, passed away recently.
- Kris Kristofferson can add another item to his never-ending resume: video game voice-over talent. He’ll be part of a star-studded voice cast for Fallout: New Vegas when it’s released in October. It won’t be Kristofferson’s video game debut though, The Tennessean‘s Dave Paulson’s says that honor belongs to the 2005 shooter Gun.
- The LimeWire Music Blog listed 10 country music power couples.
- Country California may have pissed off Blake Shelton pretty good:
The last time I read something about myself that made me mad was…
A guy on the internet had ranked my albums from one to last, in the order of what he thought was the best ones and what I wasn’t really paying attention to. That pissed me off pretty good.
- It won’t be much longer until Country Universe reaches the top of its list in the quest to name the 400 greatest singles of the nineties. This week the staff reached sub-100 numbers and included debut singles from Toby Keith, Jo Dee Messina, LeAnn Rimes, and Doug Stone.
- Farce the Music listed 10 alcoholic beverages various country singers could get behind, such as Kristian Bush‘s Sideman Porter.
- Buck Owens received a star on Fox Theater’s Walk of Fame last Wednesday. (via The Boot)
- Austin Music Source’s John T. Davis concluded his recaps of Butch Hancock‘s gig at the Cactus Cafe with night three, night four, and night five.
Hancock chose to burnish his last night onstage with a handful of Van Zandt songs. Partially it was to set up some of his own tunes in which Townes’ characters re-appear in different guises, but partly, one suspects, those Van Zandt songs were a sort of collective adios to the place itself, at least to what Luneburg calls “the iconic years.” More than anyone else besides Hancock, Van Zandt was the musical heart and soul of the place.
- LimeWire Store partnered with No Depression for Ear To The Ground: No Depression — a free, 26-song sampler of artists who’ve performed at various No Depression events over the years.
Karaoke contestant Mr. Wong emotes anger in his performance of Carrie Underwood‘s “Before He Cheats.”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.