Patty Loveless Builds On Mountain Soul; Digital Album Sales Climb
- Patty Loveless will build on her critically-acclaimed album Mountain Soul with a sequel, Mountain Soul II, due out on September 29 through Saguaro Road Records.
- When bad songs go badder: Jason Aldean – “She’s Country (Club Mix)” (via reader email)
- Country California’s C.M. Wilcox isn’t kidding when he says David Allan Coe is a scary guy, but he also notes that Coe is an exceptional songwriter and endorses one of Coe’s more recent albums, 1999’s Recommended for Airplay.
- Juli Thanki reviewed the “footstomping, cymbal-kicking energy” of Those Darlins‘ opening gig for their album release tour on Tuesday. (MySpace)
- Despite their relatively young age, Jewly Hight describes The Lovell Sisters as self-sufficient and independent, to the point where they turned down a major label deal because it didn’t prioritize their songwriting. The sisters recently released their second album, which they co-produced. (MySpace)
“Time To Grow” is a good introduction to what the Lovells do. They land on the simpler side of newgrass with pure, unadulterated pop vocals—full-throated, polished and expressive—and sumptuous harmonies.
- The Tennessean‘s Wendy Lee reports that digital album sales grew more than 50 percent in the first half of this year.
- My Kind of Country: What are your favorite songs about being lonely?
- The Christian group Point of Grace plans to convert to country.
- That Nashville Sound counted down the top ten most notable moments in Grand Ole Opry history. TNS has been covering the Opry for the past week, so don’t miss other recent articles on the first Opry star, DeFord Bailey, Opry ghosts and the Unbroken Circle.
- Vote for the all-time greatest band in Austin history.
- Random Tweet: I was right, you know. Never did get out of this world alive. (@HanksGhost)
- My Kind of Country’s Razor X waxes approval on John Anderson‘s third album, I Just Came Home To Count the Memories.
The twang is back in full force for the album’s most unusual song, “Jesse Clay and the 12:05.” It tells the dark tale of an alcoholic who accidentally kills his wife in a drunken rage. In his panic, he decides to lay her body across the railroad tracks that pass by their shack, to make her death look like an accident, or possibly a suicide. The plot fails when Jesse prematurely reports the “accident” to the sheriff, unaware that the usually reliable 12:05 had jumped the tracks a few miles back. I hate when that happens.
- Watch Jason Eady perform “Judgment Day,” a song he wrote in the vein of the Appalachian music he grew up a fan of and had a chance to play in front of Dr. Ralph Stanley.
- The personal tour bus belonging to Asleep at the Wheel is for sale. You probably can’t afford it.
- Farce the Music celebrates boobs, short people and John Rich‘s oversized head in the latest batch of honest/parody album covers.
- Roger: Fabulous interview and fantastic new music that I will listen to over and over again.
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …