Opry Member Charlie Walker Passed Away Friday at 81
- Grand Ole Opry and Country Music Disc Jockey Hall of Fame member Charlie Walker passed away on Friday at age 81. Peter Cooper eulogizes:
In 1958, Mr. Walker decided to record “Pick Me Up On Your Way Down,” from the pen of an aspiring songwriter named Harlan Howard who was a forklift driver at a California printing factory. The song became Mr. Walker’s signature hit and it was Howard’s first commercial writing success. (Howard went on to write more than 100 Top 10 country hits and to become a Country Music Hall of Famer.)
- David Cantwell lingers a moment longer for Jerry Reed and notes that “as an ambassador for country music, he was, among his contemporaries, second only to Willie Nelson and, perhaps, Dolly Parton or Glen Campbell.”
- And tonight, friends of Jerry Reed, will take another moment to linger and perform a musical sendoff to the guitar legend with a free show at Douglas Corner.
- Daily Trivia: The original “King of Country Music,” Roy Acuff, was born this day in 1903. (watch him perform “Wabash Cannonball”)
- NPR has a live performance of Sarah Borges & The Broken Singles on Mountain Stage.
- Toby Keith took his Biggest & Baddest Tour to Atlanta for the anniversary September 11th, and despite the profanity-laced performance, 18-year-old Michael Paul exclaimed that “there could never be a better concert on 9/11 than that of a Toby Keith concert!”
- Country Music Goodness has a brief Q&A with Earl Scruggs. (via The Bluegrass Blog)
- Songwriter Craig Bickhardt discusses the decline of the American songwriter:
It’s safe to say that never in the history of our culture have so many superficial similarities existed between the musical artists of today and the musical artists of a previous generation. Look at the clothes, hair styles, images and artwork and you’ll see 1969. Listen to the CDs and you’ll hear production that reminds you of the Byrds, the Beatles, “Positively Fourth Street” and Joni. But check out the songs. The lyrics are unfocused, the choruses unmemorable, the ideas lack the motive to really communicate. It reeks of self-indulgence. Simply put, no one has told these folks that they haven’t worked hard enough, that they haven’t written their best song, that they need to develop their instincts and hone their craft. No one has said, “No”.
Both the article and ensuing comments are worth checking out, and there’s more in response to Ben Cisneros’ forum topic “Do pop-country songwriters know the score???”
- The video for Taylor Swift‘s first single, “Love Story,” from her upcoming album is spreading like wildfire and features a performance from Nashville Star‘s very own “Underwear Boy.”
- Twang Nation’s Baron Lane recalls a round table in Nashville last year that included Southern fiction writers and songwriters discussing how storytelling through the different mediums were alike. Among the songwriters was Chris Knight and in his review for Heart of Stone, Lane claims the storytelling presence is strong throughout.
- Nashville At Nite posted video from their exclusive backstage access to rehearsals from Nashville Star finalists. Melissa Lawson talks about traveling to China, Gabe Garcia explains the format of the planned concerts on their tour, Shawn Mayer shows off her new tattoos and dishes on Gabe’s emerging status as a prankster, while Coffey says he had paparazzi following him around L.A.
- Paul W Dennis: MLB playoffs and the weather here in Florida finally cooling off a little. Also we get the Palatka Bluegrass Festival …
- Tony Branscomb: Peaceful Quiet Days In The Woods Watching Wildlife Playing.
- jenny patrick: my favorite part of autumn is the smell of a bonfire to roast weiners and marshmallows on .
- jeanie kinman: My favorite part of Autumn is all the festivals with bands playing Bluegrass music..Come on down to Ky Joe Mullins …
- Keith Saterwhite: My favorite part of Autumn are the beautiful colors on the trees, here in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains.
- phillip Martinez: Thanks Joe, for always the great music.
- Martin DeSimio: Fresh apple cider.
- Jessica Whited: My favorite part of autumn is the chance to have bonfires with my friends and family.
- Sandy Kapphahn: Love the fall colors!
- Erik North: Caitlin Rose has become one of my favorite female singers of any genre in this century; and I think her …