One Out of Every Five Albums Sold Belong to Taylor Swift; Jason Aldean Leads Releases; Charlie Louvin Benefit DVD Seeks Backers
- Taylor Swift‘s Speak Now is a lock to sell more than a million copies in its first week, and HITS Daily Double is reporting that 17-18% of all album sales belonged to Swift, which would be a new record. (via Music Mix)
- To help offset Charlie Louvin‘s medical bills, the folks at Judd Films have donated their time and talents to film Louvin’s show on Dec. 3, the 50th anniversary of the album Satan Is Real. The goal is to have a DVD made with proceeds going to Louvin, but money needs to be raised to pay for production costs. Saving Country Music has details on how you can help.
- Alison Krauss performed a full set of nothing but Louvin Brothers songs this past Saturday as part of another benefit to help raise money for Charlie Louvin. Jimmy Carter reports that over $16,000 was raised.
- Asleep at the Wheel founding band member Lucky Oceans on Ray Benson:
“Ray is one of the best businessmen I know. Who else could keep a band together for 40 years playing such niche music? He dreams and schemes and never thinks anything will fail and goes headlong into anything he does. His connections, people skills and showmanship have kept the band going. The scores of great musicians who have played with the band have helped uphold its reputation, but Ray is at the center of it all. And having a name like ‘Asleep at the Wheel’ has helped. Wonder who thought of that?”
- My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope recommends the new Aaron Watson record, The Road & The Rodeo.
New releases for the week of November 2, 2010 include:
Don Edwards – American
Madonna Nash – Madonna Nash
Oak Ridge Boys – Icon
The Statler Brothers – Icon
The Statler Brothers – Icon 2
- Taylor Swift is working with Elizabeth Arden to develop a new fragrance, due out sometime late next year.
- Country Music Pride is giving away one of those new, 16-disc Hank Williams box sets: Hank Williams: The Complete Mother’s Best Recordings…Plus!. Just send a picture showing why you deserve it.
- Jimmy Webb on the challenges and rewards of songwriting:
It always feels like the first time to me,” he said. “It’s sort of like warming up for tennis or vocalizing. I have to get that thing going… It then becomes very rewarding for me as I approach the end of it and I keep fitting things in, and it feels good to me. It’s just the best feeling I have ever had. Sometimes it goes off the rails and I can feel that I’m losing it. I’m like a kid with my skateboard skidding out in front of me, and there’s nothing much I can do about it.”
- Ryan Bingham stopped by WFUV to preform songs from his new album, Junky Star.
- Michael McCall on the new Jason Aldean album:
The focus, however, is on reflecting and celebrating life in dirt-road America. More than ever, Aldean succeeds at bringing alive a demographic rarely seen or heard in the media — and he does so with a fresh sound that steers clear of lyrical cliches.
- UK music magazine The Word posted a podcast with Darrell Scott.
Here’s Jack Ingram covering Billy Joe Shaver‘s “Old Chunk of Coal” for his weekly Acoustic Motel series.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …