One Out of Every Five Albums Sold Belong to Taylor Swift; Jason Aldean Leads Releases; Charlie Louvin Benefit DVD Seeks Backers
- Taylor Swift‘s Speak Now is a lock to sell more than a million copies in its first week, and HITS Daily Double is reporting that 17-18% of all album sales belonged to Swift, which would be a new record. (via Music Mix)
- To help offset Charlie Louvin‘s medical bills, the folks at Judd Films have donated their time and talents to film Louvin’s show on Dec. 3, the 50th anniversary of the album Satan Is Real. The goal is to have a DVD made with proceeds going to Louvin, but money needs to be raised to pay for production costs. Saving Country Music has details on how you can help.
- Alison Krauss performed a full set of nothing but Louvin Brothers songs this past Saturday as part of another benefit to help raise money for Charlie Louvin. Jimmy Carter reports that over $16,000 was raised.
- Asleep at the Wheel founding band member Lucky Oceans on Ray Benson:
“Ray is one of the best businessmen I know. Who else could keep a band together for 40 years playing such niche music? He dreams and schemes and never thinks anything will fail and goes headlong into anything he does. His connections, people skills and showmanship have kept the band going. The scores of great musicians who have played with the band have helped uphold its reputation, but Ray is at the center of it all. And having a name like ‘Asleep at the Wheel’ has helped. Wonder who thought of that?”
- My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope recommends the new Aaron Watson record, The Road & The Rodeo.
New releases for the week of November 2, 2010 include:
Don Edwards – American
Madonna Nash – Madonna Nash
Oak Ridge Boys – Icon
The Statler Brothers – Icon
The Statler Brothers – Icon 2
- Taylor Swift is working with Elizabeth Arden to develop a new fragrance, due out sometime late next year.
- Country Music Pride is giving away one of those new, 16-disc Hank Williams box sets: Hank Williams: The Complete Mother’s Best Recordings…Plus!. Just send a picture showing why you deserve it.
- Jimmy Webb on the challenges and rewards of songwriting:
It always feels like the first time to me,” he said. “It’s sort of like warming up for tennis or vocalizing. I have to get that thing going… It then becomes very rewarding for me as I approach the end of it and I keep fitting things in, and it feels good to me. It’s just the best feeling I have ever had. Sometimes it goes off the rails and I can feel that I’m losing it. I’m like a kid with my skateboard skidding out in front of me, and there’s nothing much I can do about it.”
- Ryan Bingham stopped by WFUV to preform songs from his new album, Junky Star.
- Michael McCall on the new Jason Aldean album:
The focus, however, is on reflecting and celebrating life in dirt-road America. More than ever, Aldean succeeds at bringing alive a demographic rarely seen or heard in the media — and he does so with a fresh sound that steers clear of lyrical cliches.
- UK music magazine The Word posted a podcast with Darrell Scott.
Here’s Jack Ingram covering Billy Joe Shaver‘s “Old Chunk of Coal” for his weekly Acoustic Motel series.
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …