One Out of Every Five Albums Sold Belong to Taylor Swift; Jason Aldean Leads Releases; Charlie Louvin Benefit DVD Seeks Backers
- Taylor Swift‘s Speak Now is a lock to sell more than a million copies in its first week, and HITS Daily Double is reporting that 17-18% of all album sales belonged to Swift, which would be a new record. (via Music Mix)
- To help offset Charlie Louvin‘s medical bills, the folks at Judd Films have donated their time and talents to film Louvin’s show on Dec. 3, the 50th anniversary of the album Satan Is Real. The goal is to have a DVD made with proceeds going to Louvin, but money needs to be raised to pay for production costs. Saving Country Music has details on how you can help.
- Alison Krauss performed a full set of nothing but Louvin Brothers songs this past Saturday as part of another benefit to help raise money for Charlie Louvin. Jimmy Carter reports that over $16,000 was raised.
- Asleep at the Wheel founding band member Lucky Oceans on Ray Benson:
“Ray is one of the best businessmen I know. Who else could keep a band together for 40 years playing such niche music? He dreams and schemes and never thinks anything will fail and goes headlong into anything he does. His connections, people skills and showmanship have kept the band going. The scores of great musicians who have played with the band have helped uphold its reputation, but Ray is at the center of it all. And having a name like ‘Asleep at the Wheel’ has helped. Wonder who thought of that?”
- My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope recommends the new Aaron Watson record, The Road & The Rodeo.
New releases for the week of November 2, 2010 include:
Don Edwards – American
Madonna Nash – Madonna Nash
Oak Ridge Boys – Icon
The Statler Brothers – Icon
The Statler Brothers – Icon 2
- Taylor Swift is working with Elizabeth Arden to develop a new fragrance, due out sometime late next year.
- Country Music Pride is giving away one of those new, 16-disc Hank Williams box sets: Hank Williams: The Complete Mother’s Best Recordings…Plus!. Just send a picture showing why you deserve it.
- Jimmy Webb on the challenges and rewards of songwriting:
It always feels like the first time to me,” he said. “It’s sort of like warming up for tennis or vocalizing. I have to get that thing going… It then becomes very rewarding for me as I approach the end of it and I keep fitting things in, and it feels good to me. It’s just the best feeling I have ever had. Sometimes it goes off the rails and I can feel that I’m losing it. I’m like a kid with my skateboard skidding out in front of me, and there’s nothing much I can do about it.”
- Ryan Bingham stopped by WFUV to preform songs from his new album, Junky Star.
- Michael McCall on the new Jason Aldean album:
The focus, however, is on reflecting and celebrating life in dirt-road America. More than ever, Aldean succeeds at bringing alive a demographic rarely seen or heard in the media — and he does so with a fresh sound that steers clear of lyrical cliches.
- UK music magazine The Word posted a podcast with Darrell Scott.
Here’s Jack Ingram covering Billy Joe Shaver‘s “Old Chunk of Coal” for his weekly Acoustic Motel series.
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe