OCMS Invited to Join Opry; Asleep at the Wheel Documentary to Premiere Next Month; New Music Videos
- Old Crow Medicine Show was invited to join the Grand Ole Opry by Marty Stuart. They’ll be inducted on September 17.
- Joey + Rory announced on their RFD-TV television show that they will release their next album, Made to Last, in the fall.
- Thompson Square brought computers to a school in Honduras.
- Martina McBride is no longer on the main artist page on Republic Nashville’s website, fueling the rumor that she’s parted ways with the label.
- Disney is rumored to be interested in getting back into the country music business. They closed their Lyric Street Records label in 2010.
- Country Music is Love posted a five question interview with Charlie Worsham.
- Toby Keith got a street and a day named after him in Illinois.
- Trisha Yearwood will be featured on TLC’s Who Do You Think You Are? on September 3.
- Bear Grylls the adventurer has signed Jody Direen, a New Zealand country singer, to his U.S.-based talent management company.
- Sony and the G2 Entertainment Group are reportedly working on a joint bid for Elvis Presley’s estate.
- Darryl Worley is working on new music and a new live show.
- Hayes Carll did not check himself into a mental hospital despite rumors to the contrary.
- The new Asleep at the Wheel documentary Then and Now will make its debut on September 8 at The Long Center for the Performing Arts in Austin.
- Plans are underway to open an Outlaw Country Music Hall of Fame in Lynchburg, Tenn.
- Chuck Dauphin reviewed the Third Annual Johnny Cash Music Festival.
- Luke Bryan’s Crash My Party is predicted to sell more than 500,000 albums in its first week.
- Peter Cooper looks at The Louvin Brothers’ last day performing together as a duo.
- The Evening Sun has a cool photo gallery of The Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival through the years.
- Michael Hodges of The Detroit News interviewed Yo-Yo Ma about his love of bluegrass.
- The Dixie Chicks are playing in nine Canadian cities for their Long Time Gone Tour 2013.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Donna Ulisse – “I Am a Child of God”
Steven Lee Olsen – “Never Done It Like This”
Tiffany Houghton – “High”
Kelly Clarkson – “Tie It Up”
Miranda Lambert – “All Kinds of Kinds”
John & Jacob – “Be My Girl”
Deryl Dodd – “Loveletters”
Rayland Baxter – “Ghost, Again”
Lora Faye – “All Night”
Belles & Whistles – “Boy Like You”
Craig Morgan – “Wake Up Lovin’ You”
Brandon Rhyder – “That’s Just Me”
Joy Kills Sorrow – “Such Great Heights”
Jordan McIntosh – “Grew Up in a Country Song”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.