OCMS Invited to Join Opry; Asleep at the Wheel Documentary to Premiere Next Month; New Music Videos
- Old Crow Medicine Show was invited to join the Grand Ole Opry by Marty Stuart. They’ll be inducted on September 17.
- Joey + Rory announced on their RFD-TV television show that they will release their next album, Made to Last, in the fall.
- Thompson Square brought computers to a school in Honduras.
- Martina McBride is no longer on the main artist page on Republic Nashville’s website, fueling the rumor that she’s parted ways with the label.
- Disney is rumored to be interested in getting back into the country music business. They closed their Lyric Street Records label in 2010.
- Country Music is Love posted a five question interview with Charlie Worsham.
- Toby Keith got a street and a day named after him in Illinois.
- Trisha Yearwood will be featured on TLC’s Who Do You Think You Are? on September 3.
- Bear Grylls the adventurer has signed Jody Direen, a New Zealand country singer, to his U.S.-based talent management company.
- Sony and the G2 Entertainment Group are reportedly working on a joint bid for Elvis Presley’s estate.
- Darryl Worley is working on new music and a new live show.
- Hayes Carll did not check himself into a mental hospital despite rumors to the contrary.
- The new Asleep at the Wheel documentary Then and Now will make its debut on September 8 at The Long Center for the Performing Arts in Austin.
- Plans are underway to open an Outlaw Country Music Hall of Fame in Lynchburg, Tenn.
- Chuck Dauphin reviewed the Third Annual Johnny Cash Music Festival.
- Luke Bryan’s Crash My Party is predicted to sell more than 500,000 albums in its first week.
- Peter Cooper looks at The Louvin Brothers’ last day performing together as a duo.
- The Evening Sun has a cool photo gallery of The Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival through the years.
- Michael Hodges of The Detroit News interviewed Yo-Yo Ma about his love of bluegrass.
- The Dixie Chicks are playing in nine Canadian cities for their Long Time Gone Tour 2013.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Donna Ulisse – “I Am a Child of God”
Steven Lee Olsen – “Never Done It Like This”
Tiffany Houghton – “High”
Kelly Clarkson – “Tie It Up”
Miranda Lambert – “All Kinds of Kinds”
John & Jacob – “Be My Girl”
Deryl Dodd – “Loveletters”
Rayland Baxter – “Ghost, Again”
Lora Faye – “All Night”
Belles & Whistles – “Boy Like You”
Craig Morgan – “Wake Up Lovin’ You”
Brandon Rhyder – “That’s Just Me”
Joy Kills Sorrow – “Such Great Heights”
Jordan McIntosh – “Grew Up in a Country Song”
- bob: Enjoyed the Himes article on classic baseball songs. Thanks. Himes also mentioned some books. To those he noted I would …
- luckyoldsun: Well it probably wasn't Larry Gatlin.
- A.B.: Anyone else think Marty Stuart might be part of Lakehouse Holdings that bought the Johnny Cash/Barry Gibb property?
- David Cantwell: Thanks, Andrew. It almost seems inevitable that the greatest singers--Sinatra and George Jones, say--just don't sing so well at the …
- Andrew: Very well put. I don't remember the last time an album gave me chills right from the opening note quite …
- TX Music Jim: All valid choices. I will forever hold out the hope that Gram Parsons, Jerry Jeff Walker and Gary Stewart will …
- Leeann Ward: Oops...the link: http://www.engine145.com/summer-lovin-ronnie-milsap-looks-back-new-album/
- Leeann Ward: Yes, great choices for inductees! In Milsap's case, I guess if you say it to Juli Thanki, it will happen!:): Do …
- Paul W Dennis: Delighted to see "The Voice With A Heart" being inducted - he is my all-time favorite bluegrass vocalist. Hank Cochran …
- luckyoldsun: I don't know what exactly makes one a national treasure, but I'd give that appellation to Mac Wiseman before the …