Obama Concluded Acceptance Speech with Brooks & Dunn’s “Only In America”
- Matt asks if anyone else finds it odd that Brooks & Dunn‘s “Only in America” was played at the end of Obama’s acceptance speech last night in light of the fact that it was also George W. Bush’s campaign theme song in 2004.
- A recent flight carrying Trisha Yearwood had to make an emergency landing due to a cracked windshield.
“We never lost cabin pressure, so we didn’t have to use our oxygen masks. By the time we got on the ground, the crack on the front of the plane’s window was huge, and getting bigger by the second,” she said.
- Michael Corcoran reports that Jason Boland‘s surgery was a success, as was the release of his new album, Comal County Blue, which shot to the top of the iTunes country sales chart and has received the best reviews of his career.
- Drew Emmitt (MySpace) assembled an all-star cast of bluegrass musicians for his album, Long Road, to pay homage to his 20-year career on the road and PopMatters’ Sarah Moore says the broad guest list “reiterates the notion of collaboration that usually accompanies the road.”
- Photocrap posted another large edition of honest album covers titled “Bigger In Texas Day.”
- The Houston Chronicle’s Andrew Dansby has a Q&A with Glen Campbell on the topic of his new album and career.
- David Letterman liked the second verse in Randy Houser‘s (MySpace) song “Anything Goes” so much that he had the singer-songwriter repeat it on The Late Show Thursday night.
- In an interview with OK! Magazine Kellie Pickler reveals she’s dating Nashville musician Kyle Jacobs.
- The Del McCoury owned label McCoury Music plans to offer a new $100 annual subscription service called the McCoury Music Club.
All club members will receive one live show download per month for a full year. The show will be selected by McCoury Music and in most cases will be from a recording made within the previous 60 days, but occasionally we may slip in a special show from the archives that we don’t think you can live without. We also plan to reward members with occasional extras such as additional tracks from shows that were just too good not to share, or a studio track here and there exclusive just to you.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne counts down his 25 favorite Todd Snider songs.
- Forum poster JHD says Carrie Underwood has a hold on young Nashville songwriter Andy Gibson‘s song “Love Had Something To Say.” You can listen to it on his MySpace.
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.
- Juli Thanki: I think I'm the only person in the world who never got into "The Wire." Earle was on "SVU" a …
- Jack Williams: Steve Earle on The Wire.
- Leeann: I am very excited to hear collaborations between Ashley Monroe and Charlie Worsham!! It totally makes sense for themto collaborate. I …
- Juli Thanki: You know it!
- bob: The only one of these that I've seen before is the Columbo episode. As far as the future post on …
- Arlene: I'm very happy that Compass Records will be releasing a tribute disc in which artists cover songs of Jean Ritchie …