Obama Concluded Acceptance Speech with Brooks & Dunn’s “Only In America”
- Matt asks if anyone else finds it odd that Brooks & Dunn‘s “Only in America” was played at the end of Obama’s acceptance speech last night in light of the fact that it was also George W. Bush’s campaign theme song in 2004.
- A recent flight carrying Trisha Yearwood had to make an emergency landing due to a cracked windshield.
“We never lost cabin pressure, so we didn’t have to use our oxygen masks. By the time we got on the ground, the crack on the front of the plane’s window was huge, and getting bigger by the second,” she said.
- Michael Corcoran reports that Jason Boland‘s surgery was a success, as was the release of his new album, Comal County Blue, which shot to the top of the iTunes country sales chart and has received the best reviews of his career.
- Drew Emmitt (MySpace) assembled an all-star cast of bluegrass musicians for his album, Long Road, to pay homage to his 20-year career on the road and PopMatters’ Sarah Moore says the broad guest list “reiterates the notion of collaboration that usually accompanies the road.”
- Photocrap posted another large edition of honest album covers titled “Bigger In Texas Day.”
- The Houston Chronicle’s Andrew Dansby has a Q&A with Glen Campbell on the topic of his new album and career.
- David Letterman liked the second verse in Randy Houser‘s (MySpace) song “Anything Goes” so much that he had the singer-songwriter repeat it on The Late Show Thursday night.
- In an interview with OK! Magazine Kellie Pickler reveals she’s dating Nashville musician Kyle Jacobs.
- The Del McCoury owned label McCoury Music plans to offer a new $100 annual subscription service called the McCoury Music Club.
All club members will receive one live show download per month for a full year. The show will be selected by McCoury Music and in most cases will be from a recording made within the previous 60 days, but occasionally we may slip in a special show from the archives that we don’t think you can live without. We also plan to reward members with occasional extras such as additional tracks from shows that were just too good not to share, or a studio track here and there exclusive just to you.
- Country Universe’s Kevin J. Coyne counts down his 25 favorite Todd Snider songs.
- Forum poster JHD says Carrie Underwood has a hold on young Nashville songwriter Andy Gibson‘s song “Love Had Something To Say.” You can listen to it on his MySpace.
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …