Obama Boogies Back To Texas With Ray Benson and Joe Ely
- An fundraiser for Barack Obama at the Austin Music Hall last night featured country artists Ray Benson and Joe Ely, and Obama himself even joined in for a performance of “Boogie Back to Texas.” The Asleep at the Wheel MySpace blog has several additional pictures.
- Chet Flippo weighs in on Kix Brooks’ comments about artists getting paid for attending the CMA Fest.
Turn your back on your fans, and you may as well turn your back on a huge chunk of your career. I know one thing: Say what you will about Garth Brooks. When he signed autographs for some 23 hours straight in 1996, he was not looking to get paid. He saw it, rightly so, as a career investment. Some things are worth more than money.
- The Lost Highway feels like there’s four or five single-worthy songs on Chris Cagle’s new album, My Life’s Been A Country Song, but says the “filler” tracks aren’t any better than his own self-penned numbers.
- According to an Irish betting agency, odds that Keith Urban and wife Nicole Kidman will name their baby after Kidman’s parents are 10-1. “The names Tom, Katie, Suri, and Maverick (the name of Nicole’s ex-hubby Tom Cruise’s character in Top Gun) are all longshots at 250-1.”
- Twang Nation’s Baron Lane says his adios to No Depression and thanks them for showing him the way.
- Grant Alden ponders the idea of a podcast to replace ND‘s signature long-form articles, and provides a link to an audio interview he and Peter Blackstock did with NPR.
- Stonewall Jackson got a federal court date of February 10, 2009 for his age discrimination suit against the Opry.
- A day before the 1990 Association of Country Music Awards Garth Brooks says he was handed three buckeye seeds by a fan who told him they were lucky. The next night Brooks scored six wins. Eighteen years later he’s convinced they’re lucky and still holds on to them.
- Texas Monthly posted numerous Willie Nelson stories from fans and you can even submit your own. (via Still Is Still Moving)
- Premier Guitar has an interview with Pete Anderson. He originally set out to be a guitar player, but things changed when he produced Dwight Yoakam’s first album Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc., Etc. Now he’s been in the business for thirty years, has become a premier producer, owns his own label (Little Dog Records), and still has time to do what he loves and originally set out to do, play guitar. (via Little Dog Records’ blog)
- Faith Hill denied rumors that her and husband Tim McGraw were working on, or had plans for, a duet album this year.
- An employee of Big Machine Media sent out an email to several hundred music bloggers and accidentally included all the email addresses in the Cc: field so that the list of addresses was revealed to all the recipients. An unfortunate mistake, but even more unfortunate is the amount of snobbish responses she received from the bloggers. Check out Idolator for some examples.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.