NYT Premieres Ruthie Foster, Dr. John Albums; Lydia Loveless Guests on World Cafe; Dierks Bentley Adds Tour Dates
Country Universe is counting down the final entries of their 100 Greatest Men in Country Music list five at a time.
Tickets for Alan Jackson’s Artist-in-Residence shows (one on October 8, the other on October 22) at the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum go on sale September 8. Presale tickets for museum members and Alan Jackson fan club members will go on sale September 5.
Lydia Loveless was on World Café. Listen here.
Our favorite and most-expensive weekly holiday, New Music Tuesday, might become New Music Friday worldwide if the record industry decides to adopt a standard global album release day.
Todd Snider and Gary Clark Jr. have been added to this year’s Farm Aid lineup.
The New York Times is streaming new albums by Dr. John and Ruthie Foster.
This year’s IBMA Awards nominees will be announced this afternoon at 5:45 Eastern. You can watch the event – hosted by Sam Bush and Jim Lauderdale – on Music City Roots‘ website.
Stream Cory Branan’s new record, The No-Hit Wonder, on The Wall Street Journal’s Speakeasy music blog.
Willie Nelson wants to make a Ray Price tribute record. He’s also been tossing around the idea of recording with Kacey Musgraves as well as Merle Haggard and Kris Kristofferson. I am in favor of all of this.
Duane Allen was inducted into the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame. His fellow Oak Ridge Boys were proclaimed “honorary Texans.” (via press release)
Galleywinter’s Brad Beheler wrote an editorial on the bro-country/”Girl in a Country Song” hubbub.
The Brothers Osborne will release a self-titled EP on September 9. Their full-length debut is expected early next year.
Dierks Bentley will embark on the second leg of his Riser tour in October.
Music executive and producer Henry Stone passed away at the age of 93. He produced recordings by Ray Charles and James Brown (and he co-owned disco fixture TK Records).
Does songwriting get easier the longer you do it? Not according to Richard Thompson, who told CMT Edge that writing is “as hard as ever. If it was easy, maybe I wouldn’t trust the process.”
Here’s the track listing for Kenny Chesney’s The Big Revival.
Garth Brooks added a couple more Atlanta shows.
Ryan Adams released a video for “Gimme Something Good.”
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …