Nineteen-Year-Old Singer-Songwriter Attacked by Coyotes; Ticket Brokers Call Foul Over Garth Concerts
- Nineteen-year-old Taylor Mitchell, who is described as a promising up-and-coming folk and country musician, was attacked by two coyotes on Tuesday while hiking alone in a national park in Canada. She died Wednesday morning from the resulting injuries. (MySpace)
Farce the Music Top 10s:
- Rolling Stone posted video of Jamey Johnson covering Kris Kristofferson‘s “Moment of Forever” in their studio.
- Watch Jason Isbell‘s video for “Cigarettes and Wine” at CMT.
- Country Haiku:
If you had told me
I would do 200 posts
I’d have laughed at you
- PopMatter’s Richard Elliott recommends the new Sam Bush album Circles Around Me to “hardcore bluegrass fans and to those desirous of a trip back to the progressive spirit of the 1970s.”
- Delbert McClinton on Nashville:
“You know, Nashville’s a good place with a lot of good people, but I think a whole lot of what goes on in Nashville is bullshit. Just like everybody else does,” he says. “A lot of people don’t want to admit it, but the whole industry is driven by false conceptions, in my opinion. I’m not going to name names or give examples, but it all sounds like it came out of the Mike Curb School of Music.” [In the ’90s, McClinton recorded for Curb Records, a label founded by Mike Curb.]
“Texas will always be what Texas is to me — which is where I learned it all and where I’ve got roots,” he says. “But I’m quite comfortable living here, you know. It’s a great town. But the best part about it is that I don’t have to go out and play all the games. … I’m in a position where I can say no to things.”
- Music Fog videos:
- Taylor Swift explains the reasoning behind releasing a platinum edition of Fearless.
- The National Association of Ticket Brokers is pulling its annual summer conference and trade show from Steve Wynn’s hotel because of what it calls “hypocritical and disrespectful” actions toward ticket brokers in regards to requirements enforced by Wynn to attend Garth Brooks‘ upcoming residency concerts.
In an email statement to ticket buyers, Wynn admitted that the requirements were potentially difficult. “While we understand that this is an inconvenience, it is especially so for the unauthorized sellers. Our efforts, initiatives and communication with you may continue until such a point we are satisfied that all scalping activity has ceased.”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.