Nightly CMA Music Fest Spots Confirmed; RIAA Issues Certifications, George Strait Wins
- Carrie Underwood, Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, Reba McEntire, Brad Paisley, Martina McBride, Darius Rucker, Lady Antebellum and the Zac Brown Band are confirmed for nightly spotlight performances at the 2010 CMA Musical Festival.
- Sarah Buxton defends her country credibility:
“If you can put Colbie Caillat in the same genre as Fergie, then I can be in the same genre as George Strait,” Buxton says. “What was James Taylor? Was he a rock singer? Was he a folk singer? I don’t know – he was kind of both. I feel like I’m many things, and I’m not comfortable trying to change parts of myself to make it fit in a genre.”
Also be sure to check out several songs from her debut album, due out next Tuesday.
- Taylor Swift released a new video for her song “Fearless.”
- The RIAA issued certifications for music released in the past decade, with George Strait earning the most gold and platinum certifications at 29. Other top earners included Taylor Swift and Shania Twain.
- Country Haiku:
Why do you insist
There is no Arizona?
Here, look at this map
- John Rich and a business partner snagged the former Seanachie Irish Pub on Lower Broadway in Nashville.
- The country music scene in the New Braunfels area will get a little richer with the reopening of the Phoenix Saloon, which has been dormant for 91 years.
British music journalist Ross Fortune, a noted historian of vintage country and blues, and partner Debbie Smith bought the place, which was a department store after the original saloon closed, at the end of 2007.
Originally built in 1871, the building is where William Gebhardt reportedly invented chili powder.
Dale Watson is scheduled to host a soft-opening on Feb. 26, otherwise known as the day of Johnny Cash‘s birth.
- While he does it all the time, Todd Snider isn’t sure he knows anything about songwriting.
- CMT’s Chris Parton talked to Willy Braun from Reckless Kelly about the band’s new album, Somewhere In Time, and the experience they had working with Pinto Bennett.
- Donna Ulisse on her new album:
The project is called Holy Waters and once again I wrote or co-wrote all the tunes, with the exception of my favorite Carter Stanley song Who Will Sing For Me. The theme is a soul journey and the songs are inspirational. I have been sitting on some of these songs for years now waiting on an opportunity to cut an album like this.
- Inspired by recent tweets in which Miranda Lambert responded to comments made by Patty Griffin, My Kind of Country asks: Do you think songwriters should take the money and shut up, or say only nice things about covers of their songs? Or should they be free to criticize a singer’s interpretation of their lyrics?
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …