Next Week’s ‘American Idol’ Will Feature Grand Ole Opry Theme
- For two days, March 17 and 18, American Idol will feature a Grand Ole Opry theme in which contestants will choose and perform songs popularized by Opry members. Carrie Underwood will also appear on the show to sing “I Told You So” with Randy Travis and Brad Paisley will debut his new single, “Then.”
- Kelleigh Bannen is more than two-thirds of the way into her goal of playing 90 gigs in 90 days to raise awareness about the power of addiction and hope of recovery. Her final show is scheduled for April 1 at Nashville’s Exit/In and she posted a promo video for the last 30 days on her blog.
- A rare guitar owned by Roy Rogers is hitting the auction block next month and is expected to fetch between $150,000 and $250,000. The guitar, one of only fifteen made, was manufactured in the 1930s and remains in the original, unrestored state.
- This year’s CMA Music Festival will be held Thursday through Sunday, June 11-14 in Nashville and the initial lineup of stars includes: Trace Adkins, Julianne Hough, Lady Antebellum, Miranda Lambert, Martina McBride and Reba McEntire.
- Clint Black named three songs fans would never forgive him for omitting from his set list, talked about his experience on Celebrity Apprentice and commented on the status of his music these days in an interview with The Houston Chronicle.
- Farce the Music took a stab at Sugarland‘s “Settlin'” with a parody titled “Ritalin.”
- Todd Snider‘s new album, titled The Excitement Plan, is due out June 9th and features a guest appearance from Loretta Lynn.
- California honky-tonker David Serby (MySpace) has a new album scheduled for May 11 titled Honky Tonk and Vine, which, according to a press release, comes well stocked with tears-in-my-beer weepers like “I Only Smoke When I’m Drinkin’” as well as roadhouse rave-ups like “Don’t Even Try.”
- Lisa Renee Davis, a model and actress who appeared in music videos for Keith Anderson‘s “Pickin’ Wildflowers” and Jason Michael Carroll‘s “I Can Sleep When I’m Dead,” was found murdered on Tuesday.
- When Mickey Raphael gained access to the master recordings to “unproduce” Naked Willie, an album of stripped-down Willie Nelson songs mostly from his RCA albums, he found that there was leakage from the strings and other instruments that prevented him from using some of the songs he wanted. He was however, able to salvage 17 tracks that will be on the album, which The Austin Chronicle‘s Jim Caliguiri says sounds almost as if it was recorded yesterday, not 40 years ago.
- The Tin Pan South songwriters festival announced their March 31 to April 4 schedule and it includes a monster lineup. (via Country Weekly)
- Darius Rucker talked to Craig Shelburne about his early days working in a record store, reporting singles to Billboard and the payola he’d recieve.
I mean, the stories I could tell you of people calling and saying, ‘Hey man, do you think you could put so and so in the top 10?’ I’m like, ‘Dude, they’re not even in my top 50.’ And they’re like, ‘You like U2?’ ‘Yeah!’ And the next day here come four CD players and the whole U2 collection. You gotta love it!”
- Watch Eric Brace and Peter Cooper perform “First In Line,” a song that was originally recorded by The Everly Brothers and was later cut by Emmylou Harris and John Starling.
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...