Newspaper Pulled Aldean Review After Advertiser Pressure; Gregg Allman Biopic Shuts Down; New Music Videos
- Stop the presses: Lee Ann Womack might unveil some details about her next album later this week according to a tweet she made over the weekend.
- A scathing Baltimore City Paper review of a Jason Aldean concert has taken on a life of its own after it was pulled due to pressure from the Baltimore Arena, LiveNationDC (who promoted the concert) and Under Armour (a sponsor of Aldean).
- Bruce Springsteen will release a 12” vinyl EP called American Beauty on Record Store Day (April 26).
- Billboard’s Chuck Dauphin interviewed Kevin Fowler about his new album coming out this week, How Country Are Ya? An excerpt: “That’s the good thing and the bad thing about the scene here. It’s all about touring. It’s all about the fan base, not as much about radio airplay, it’s about getting people in the door. How we make our living is touring and merchandise. That’s the great thing about it is that it helps it create a career where you can play for thirty or forty years like Jerry Jeff Walker or Robert Earl Keen. They’re still out there touring, so you’ve gotta stay on the road.”
- The worldly C.M. Wilcox has a new Quotable Country column up over at Country California.
- The Gregg Allman biopic is “shutting down” following the train crash that killed a crew member.
- David Nail discussed his new album, I’m a Fire, in an interview on Radio.com. CountryMusicIsLove.com posted a preview of his song “Lyle County” if you want to hear it early.
- Hank Locklin was inducted into the Alabama Music Hall of Fame on Friday night.
- Our friend Jewly Hight profiled Robert Ellis for the Nashville Scene.
- Dolly Parton’s Blue Smoke Tour is dazzling concert-goers Down Under.
- JT Hodges celebrated Johnny Cash’s birthday last week by performing “Get Rhythm.”
- “5 rock acts ripe for country music tribute albums.”
- Taylor Swift is back in the studio recording her followup to Red.
- The 39th Annual Father’s Day Bluegrass Festival in Grass Valley, California, unveiled the lineup for the June 12-15 event.
- George Strait will receive the T. Boone Pickens Lifetime Sportsman Award for his commitment to preserving the native habitat of the bobwhite quail population.
- Does it bother anyone else that the cover of Cole Swindell’s album pictures him wearing a baseball cap that has the initials GS instead of CS?
- Lukas Nelson & P.O.T.R. won the Bruce Corwin Award at the 29th Annual Santa Barbara International Film Festival for scoring Satellite Beach.
- Adam Hood has a brand new single called “Tryin’ to Write a Love Song.”
- New music videos from the past week or so:
Highway 4 – “Long Road Home”
Small Town Pistols – “Colour Blind”
Lee Matthews – “That Country Girl”
Marty Brown – “Whatever Makes You Smile”
Ashley Leone – “Spinning”
John Waller – “Life is a Gift”
The Moonshine – “Flood”
D. Charles Speer & The Helix – “Wallwalker”
Mando Saenz – “Pocket Change”
Lindsay Ell – “Trippin’ on Us”
The Sea The Sea – “Love We Are We Love”
Joshua Scott Jones – “Honk (If You’re Tonky)”
The Statesboro Revue – “Huck Finn”
Kevin Fowler – “Love Song”
The Wild Feathers – “Got It Wrong”
Possessed By Paul James – “There Will Be Nights When I’m Lonely” (live at WAMU’s Bluegrass Country)
Farewell Drifters – “Modern Age”
The Haden Triplets – “Single Girl, Married Girl” (on Conan)
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.
- Six String Richie: It's great to hear that Sundy Best has a new album coming out. I really encourage anybody that reads …
- Louie: "Brotherly Love," IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith's …
- Erik North: A big loss for not only the Nashville songwriting community, but for songwriting communities everywhere, in my opinion, that Paul …