News Roundup – The Stalker Edition; Hank Jr. Lashes Out; He’s Got A…Mustache
- Rumors of an affair between LeAnn Rimes and her Lifetime movie co-star Eddie Cibrian continue to burn, and now Us Weekly reports that Cibrian’s wife, Brandi Glanville, has left him.
“LeAnn is a stalker,” Glanville told Us last month. “She refuses to leave us alone. It is shameful and scary. People are going to say it takes two to tango and I get that, but at some point LeAnn needs to stop asking him to dance.”
- Did somebody say stalker? Gary Allan faced his alleged stalker, Katherine Walker, in court yesterday. The judge issued a permanent restraining order against Walker, but not before she claimed Allan bugged her phones, wrote songs about her and had phone sex with her.
“I’m crazy, right?” Walker asked Allan as he denied her allegations against himself during the proceedings.
“Apparently,” he replied.
- Jon Pareles recapped yesterday’s White House Summer Music event with Charley Pride, Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss for The New York Times.
- Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash uploaded new songs to their MySpace.
- Radney Foster had a second star-studded, 50th birthday bash on Monday night, this time at the Exit/In in Nashville.
- Sara Watkins on Mountain Stage.
- Hank Williams Jr. oozes cockiness and self-assurance in his interview with CMT’s Edward Morris. He talks about his most recent album, 127 Rose Avenue, and Curb Records.
“You want to know the bottom line?” he snaps. “This is my last album [for Mike Curb], and he’s history.”
He charges that the label has failed to give him the artistic and promotional backing he deserves.
“We will move onward and upward,” he vows. “You just wait. We’ll have a lot to talk about. I’ve had some recording ideas that they didn’t care for. Well, there’s a lot of other labels that do care about it. …
“We’re going to get off this old, dead sinking ship. One thing about it: You can say, ‘The last one he made was damn sure a gem.’ I love 127. We had to do the cover [for the album]. They didn’t do anything. We did everything. …
- I’d venture a guess that Hank Jr. wouldn’t be too happy to hear that Mike Curb has his hand in everything that Star De Azlan is doing.
- From the oops department: Hats Off: A Tribute to Eddie Arnold. (via Facebook)
- The Lovell Sisters on Mountain Stage.
- Kathy Mattea and the bluegrass band Hot Rize are scheduled to co-host the 20th annual International Bluegrass Music Awards on Thursday, Oct. 1.
- And Sam Bush will receive the Lifetime Achievement for Instrumentalist Award at the 8th Annual Americana Honors & Awards ceremony on Sept. 17.
- Brandon Rickman‘s recent solo album, Young Man, Old Soul, impressed My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope enough to seek out his work with with the Lonesome River Band.
- Music Fog posted video of Those Darlins performing “The Whole Damn Thing” in Philly last week.
- Nathan Rabin confesses to being a depressive in his latest Nashville or Bust column, but says there are tangible tools to help him fight depression: anti-depressants, therapy, exercise, pop culture, a strong support system, and limited exposure to tear-jerking George Jones ballads.
- My Kind of Country: What do you think of remixes? Any pop-country songs you would want to see with country remixes?
- Speaking of remixes, Country California’s satire department reports that Jason Aldean will release a country remix of “She’s Country.”
Jason, for his part, maintains that this will play to a new demographic he hasn’t reached before. “The people who actually like the organic, authentic-sounding stuff like Merle Haggard and George Jones…” said Aldean, preening the early growth of a soon-to-be mullet, “that’s an audience we haven’t spoken to yet.”
- In another fake news piece, C.M. Wilcox invented a new drinking game: taking a shot of high-grade vodka every time Kenny Chesney responds to a question by uttering a cliché. However, after reading the article you may want to downgrade shots of vodka to sips of beer.
- Introducing the newest single from Heartland, “Mustache.”
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."
- luckyoldsun: And I hear that Pretty Boy Floyd wasn't exactly the gentleman eulogized by Woody Guthrie (and that he didn't set …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jeremy, I wish you the very best of luck with the release. Your moderator pick is a fine one.
- Jeremy Dylan: That FTM playlist is a grand way to spend an afternoon. SHAMELESS PLUG Btw, any Engine145 readers in Nashville on Monday night, …
- David Cantwell: Amen, Brother Barry.