New Releases (April 5): Anna Wilson, The Bellamy Brothers and More; Harley Allen, Mel McDaniel and Jake Jenkins Remembered
- Andy Friedman – Laserbeams and Dreams
Anna Wilson – Countrypolitan Duets
The Bellamy Brothers – Greatest Hits Volume 1: Deluxe Edition
The Black Lillies – 100 Miles of Wreckage
Calafia – Calafia
Craig Campbell – Craig Campbell
Daniel Romano – Sleep Beneath the Willow
The Judds – I Will Stand By You: The Essential Collection
Michaela Anne – To Know Where
Susan Cattaneo – Heaven to Heartache
- On the passing of Harley Allen, Jon Weisberger writes:
Nashville’s a songwriting town, and Harley Allen was a world-class songwriter, so a lot will be written about that in days to come. But before — and while — he was writing the hits, Harley was a singer, one of nearly unparalleled beauty and sadness. By the time he was in his late teens and singing with his brothers in the hillbilly bars of Dayton, Ohio, he had a reedy, mournful tenor voice that seemed to always curl a phrase just a moment before you thought it might, or rise just a bit higher than you thought it could. And whichever of a dozen different ways he’d surprise you as a singer, it always turned out to be exactly the right one to make you feel the same longing, the same emptiness, the same self-mocking yet utterly serious sense of despair that seemed to be haunting him.
- More on Allen from Peter Cooper.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 04/03/11 Edition
- Cia Cherryholmes plans to embark on a solo career.
- Miss Leslie honored her friend and songwriter Jake Jenkins, who was killed recently in a plane crash, in a series of posts: I’ll Be Gone Tonight By Jake Jenkins, Honky Tonk No More by Jake Jenkins, Stranger in Your Mind by Jake Jenkins, Honky Tonk Gal by Jake Jenkins.
- Blake Shelton‘s new single “Honey Bee” — performed at the ACM Awards on Sunday night — is available on iTunes.
- Craig Morgan signed a new deal with Black River Entertainment.
- Peter Cooper also wrote an obituary for Opry member Mel McDaniel, whose hits included “Louisiana Saturday Night” and “Baby’s Got Her Blue Jeans On.”
- Listen to the new Alison Krauss and Union Station album Paper Airplane in its entirety.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …