New Releases (April 19): Ralph Stanley, Robyn Ludwick & Zoe Muth; Sunny Sweeney For Free; Hayes Carll & Amanda Shires On Daytrotter
- Sunny Sweeney‘s “Staying’s Worse Than Leaving” is the iTunes Free Single of the Week. (Check out Blake Boldt’s review here on The 9513)
- Over at Country California, CM listed his favorite tracks from albums that were for the most part released in March. I’ll get a jump on him and say I hope Zoe Muth‘s “If I Can’t Trust You With A Quarter (How Can I Trust You With My Heart)” makes his April list.
- Music Fog:
- Country California: Quotable Country – 04/17/11 Edition
- Daytrotter posted a couple of cool sessions form Amanda Shires (can’t go wrong with the “Train” song) and Hayes Carll.
- Country Universe’s Leeann Ward reviewed the self-titled debut from Craig Campbell favorably:
The combination of [Keith] Stegall’s spot on arrangements, Campbell’s commanding baritone, and the song’s sing-able melodies provides a very fulfilling sonic experience for the listener who longs to hear unapologetic country music in the mainstream again. In fact, the brightest spot on the album is a severe, though sincere, indictment on the current state of country music that simply concludes, “If you gotta tell me how country you are, you prob’ly ain’t.”
The Electric Earmuff posted a few videos from a recent Justin Townes Earle concert at The Basement in Nashville, including performances of “Ain’t Glad I’m Leavin’,” “Ain’t Waitin’,” and “I Don’t Care.” (via Nashville Cream)
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.