New Releases (April 12): Alison Krauss, Del McCoury, Jason Isbell and More
Alison Krauss & Union Station – Paper Airplane
Del McCoury Band & Preservation Hall Jazz Band – American Legacies
Granger Smith – Poets & Prisoners
Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit – Here We Rest
Mark McKinney – Home
The Train Wrecks – Saddle Up
Willie Nelson & Ray Price – Willie & Ray (Vinyl)
- Deborah Evans Price’s wrote a cover story on Brad Paisley and his new album for Billboard. Here’s his thoughts on the title track, “This Is Country Music:”
“The song itself is what inspired the album, which is the best way to have an album come about,” Paisley says as he sinks into an overstuffed chair at home on his 85-acre spread outside Nashville. ” ‘This Is Country Music’ is track one. It sets the tone. And from then on, all the songs on the album fill certain slots and paint the rest of the picture. It’s almost like that’s the opening credits, and then you have the rest of the movie to follow.”
- The new Del McCoury album is available for streaming on his website.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 04/10/11 Edition
- Juli Thanki interviewed Eric Gibson of The Gibson Brothers for DC Noise.
- 20 Questions with Gary Floater:
How much more unreleased material are you sitting on? Will we see a Tupac scenario where even years after your death there will be new Gary Floater material released?
Johnny Cash is still going strong and I heard he only died a few years ago. I’ve got songs stuffed in the walls and buried in the yard. I’d like to see ‘em try to find em all.
Sometimes I whisper my songs to old ladies at the grocery store for safekeeping. The only safe way to write a song is in the steam on the shower door. And in fact, thousands of my songs are unrecorded.
Also…I don’t know what you mean about a two-pack scenario…I usually buy a twelve-pack and when it’s gone it’s gone brother. No tears can bring those beers back to life, and I’ve tried.
- Sara Evans recently performed in Walmart’s Soudcheck studio.
- Jake Owen‘s single “Barefoot Blue Jean Night” is available for purchase on iTunes.
- Free Download: Max Stalling – “Fantasy Dinner”
- Farce the Music: Country Day April ’11
- Paul W Dennis: They are an interesting group. This song sounds more jazzy (Andrews Sisters, Puppini Sisiter, Ingrid Lucia) but for a folkier …
- Barry Mazor: What the "Americana" term brings to mind, by this point, is a matter of time and marketing. Like all …
- Paul W Dennis: I loved the Jerry Douglas interview and love the ideas behind his two concept albums Unfortunately I never had the opportunity …
- luckyoldsun: Barry, That's a good point, as far as country itself being a word that refers to a lot more than a …
- Six String Richie: Also, in regards to that article, Aldean's #2 complaint was "Nashville Copycats" and he gripes that people are copping Luke …
- Six String Richie: Billboard misprinted his new single as "Burnin' It Up" in that article! That goes to show how little even …
- CraigR.: Here are 5 things that piss me off about Jason Aldean: 1. He is a sore winner. Why complain when you …
- Barry Mazor: The words "country" and jazz (or "jass") and blues had been around for decades before they became genres (or formats) …
- Jeff Miller: Yeah, the first time I played Jimmie Rodgers for my wife & daughter- they were aghast that he was singing …
- David Cantwell: I think it more helpful to think of Americana not as a genre but as a format--and, perhaps better, and …