New Releases (April 12): Alison Krauss, Del McCoury, Jason Isbell and More
Alison Krauss & Union Station – Paper Airplane
Del McCoury Band & Preservation Hall Jazz Band – American Legacies
Granger Smith – Poets & Prisoners
Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit – Here We Rest
Mark McKinney – Home
The Train Wrecks – Saddle Up
Willie Nelson & Ray Price – Willie & Ray (Vinyl)
- Deborah Evans Price’s wrote a cover story on Brad Paisley and his new album for Billboard. Here’s his thoughts on the title track, “This Is Country Music:”
“The song itself is what inspired the album, which is the best way to have an album come about,” Paisley says as he sinks into an overstuffed chair at home on his 85-acre spread outside Nashville. ” ‘This Is Country Music’ is track one. It sets the tone. And from then on, all the songs on the album fill certain slots and paint the rest of the picture. It’s almost like that’s the opening credits, and then you have the rest of the movie to follow.”
- The new Del McCoury album is available for streaming on his website.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 04/10/11 Edition
- Juli Thanki interviewed Eric Gibson of The Gibson Brothers for DC Noise.
- 20 Questions with Gary Floater:
How much more unreleased material are you sitting on? Will we see a Tupac scenario where even years after your death there will be new Gary Floater material released?
Johnny Cash is still going strong and I heard he only died a few years ago. I’ve got songs stuffed in the walls and buried in the yard. I’d like to see ‘em try to find em all.
Sometimes I whisper my songs to old ladies at the grocery store for safekeeping. The only safe way to write a song is in the steam on the shower door. And in fact, thousands of my songs are unrecorded.
Also…I don’t know what you mean about a two-pack scenario…I usually buy a twelve-pack and when it’s gone it’s gone brother. No tears can bring those beers back to life, and I’ve tried.
- Sara Evans recently performed in Walmart’s Soudcheck studio.
- Jake Owen‘s single “Barefoot Blue Jean Night” is available for purchase on iTunes.
- Free Download: Max Stalling – “Fantasy Dinner”
- Farce the Music: Country Day April ’11
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."