New Johnny Cash Album; Free Eric Church Download; Doc Watson Statue Unveiled
- Proving that he might be the only artist to have more posthumous recordings than Tupac, Johnny Cash has another new album forthcoming with unheard music on it. (Not that I’m complaining one bit.) From the press release: “Johnny Cash Bootleg III: LIVE Around the World is a collection of rare and unreleased live recordings it is a travelogue from his earliest days on the road at the Big D Jamboree in Dallas Texas in the 1950s – through to his becoming an International Superstar and a great statesman ambassador at the White House in Washington, D.C. in the 1970s.” Bootleg III comes out on September 27th.
- Five years after his last release, Lee Greenwood has new music available. The singer/songwriter known best for “God Bless the USA” has released a new seven song EP, I Want To Be In Your World.
- What do Jim Reeves, a Baptist minister, a carnival, Bill Clinton, 114 cats and a pack of wild dogs all have in common?
- Just in case you weren’t one of the few to snatch up the self-released Zac Brown Band album Home Grown back in 2005, you can now check out an early version of “Chicken Fried” as well the rest of the songs on the album.
- Zach and Josh Carter, known as The Carter Twins, have released the new Acoustic EP and are offering it free to fans here.
- The first round of nominations for the 17th Annual Inspirational Country Music Awards Show (to be held on Friday, October 28, 2011) were announced.
- Lily Allen is talking again about putting out a country album.
- Luke Bryan covered Metallica at the Ryman. Yikes.
- Dream River Films is unveiling Courage, a short film in a trilogy of Texas Westerns called The Armadillo Tales. The films feature singers, songwriters and actors from the Texas. Courage stars recording artists Guy Forsyth, Stephanie Urbina Jones, guitarist John Inmon, Bob Fanucchi and Zach Young. It will premier in Dallas, Texas on Monday, August 15 at the historic Texas Theater. Check out the trailer here.
- Doc Watson has been immortalized in bronze in Boone, North Carolina.
- Randy Houser got engaged to former American Idol contestant Jessa Lee Yantz last week.
- Check out the trailer for the upcoming movie Dirty Girl starring Tim McGraw and Dwight Yoakam. It comes out in theaters on August 5th.
- Eric Church is offering a free bonus track to Chief called “Lovin’ Me Anyway” on his website.
- The Texas Music Awards were recently announced. Winners include Christen Sawyer, Bob Cheevers, Jeremiah Houston Band, Jeremy Parsons and Michael Martin Murphey.
- You should go buy Ashton Shepherd’s new album and help a girl out. She still lives in a single-wide trailer in Alabama and sells vegetables out of the back of her pickup truck when she’s not on tour. At least that’s what NPR says.
- A couple of cool Jamey Johnson performances popped up across the web last week. Nashville Gab had Johnson and LeAnn Rimes covering some Waylon Jennings together and Farce the Music has him doing a George Jones cover.
- Johnny Reid, Dean Brody and Terri Clark lead the Canadian Country Music Association Award nominations. The winners will be announced on 9/12.
- It’s been available since July 1, but don’t miss out on your chance to download the free Eli Young Band exclusive track “Room Goes Dark.”
- Singer, songwriter and culinary enthusiast Brandon James has a brand new EP available and combines music and recipes at his website appropriately called Country Rock Recipes.
- To promote his new album Country Again, Ronnie Milsap did an interview with Nashville.com and reminisced about the days of playing with Charley Pride and in Roger Miller’s hotel.
- New music videos (or in a couple cases, new to you):
Emerson Drive — “Sleep It Off”
Gord Bamford — “Hank Williams Lonesome”
Donny and Marie –- “The Good Life”
Darren Warren — “Cowboy Up and Party Down”
Shelley Rann –- “I’m All Over That”
David Bradley — “Hard Time Movin’ On”
Kira Isabella — “Love Me Like That”
Brett Eldredge — “Signs”
Jason Jones — “Ferris Wheel”
The Heartbroken — “Seventeen”
Victoria Banks — “I’m Gone”
Chad Brownlee — “Carried Away”
Jason McCoy — “I’d Still Have Everything”
Vanessa Carlton — Mumford & Sons’ “The Cave” (live cover for Billboard)
- And last but not least, below is the EPK for The Bankesters’ self-titled album:
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!