New Gretchen Peters Album; Willie Nelson to Agricultural Hall of Fame; Bucky Covington Accused of Theft
- Hello Cruel World, Gretchen Peters’ first solo record in four years, will be released in early 2012. The album features a duet with Rodney Crowell and guest appearances by Kim Richey, Viktor Krauss, and Will Kimbrough. It contains 11 original songs written by Peters, including collaborations with Matraca Berg, Suzy Bogguss, and Tom Russell.
- Sara Evans’ custody battle with her ex somehow involves Kenny Chesney’s genitals. (Apologies if any of you are now picturing said Kenitalia.)
- TMZ reports that Bucky Covington has been accused of stealing $1,500 from a concert promoter during a July 4th show. An investigation is ongoing.
- Jason Boland & The Stragglers have a new album, Rancho Alto, coming out October 4.
- Joey + Rory will be releasing A Farmhouse Christmas on October 11. Merle Haggard will guest on their version of “If We Make It Through December.”
- Chris Parton did a solid interview with Nick 13 about his self-titled country record.
- Help Stephen Parry with his documentary The Hayloft Gang: The Story of the National Barn Dance. At least watch the trailer.
- Colt Ford and special guests Rhett Akins, Jason Aldean, Dallas Davidson, Mike Dekel, Edwin McCain, and James Otto are playing a benefit show on Tuesday, August 16 in Athens, GA. Proceeds go to the family of deceased police officer Elmer “Buddy” Christian and injured officer Tony Howard.
- Charlie Cushman has left Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper to focus on his banjo setup business.
- Guitarist and Fabulous Superlative Kenny Vaughan will be releasing solo debut V on September 13.
- Willie Nelson will be inducted into the Agricultural Hall of Fame next month.
- Album Releases
Jason Michael Carroll — Numbers (a Cracker Barrel exclusive)
- If the Preservation Hall Jazz Band/Del McCoury Band performance on Letterman last week was past your bedtime, check it out now.
- Paul W Dennis: Tom T & Dixie Hall are good people and I wish them all the best through this difficult time
- Paul W Dennis: Actually , it is not. We have so thoroughly debased our language that it is no longer possible to praise …
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …