New Gretchen Peters Album; Willie Nelson to Agricultural Hall of Fame; Bucky Covington Accused of Theft
- Hello Cruel World, Gretchen Peters’ first solo record in four years, will be released in early 2012. The album features a duet with Rodney Crowell and guest appearances by Kim Richey, Viktor Krauss, and Will Kimbrough. It contains 11 original songs written by Peters, including collaborations with Matraca Berg, Suzy Bogguss, and Tom Russell.
- Sara Evans’ custody battle with her ex somehow involves Kenny Chesney’s genitals. (Apologies if any of you are now picturing said Kenitalia.)
- TMZ reports that Bucky Covington has been accused of stealing $1,500 from a concert promoter during a July 4th show. An investigation is ongoing.
- Jason Boland & The Stragglers have a new album, Rancho Alto, coming out October 4.
- Joey + Rory will be releasing A Farmhouse Christmas on October 11. Merle Haggard will guest on their version of “If We Make It Through December.”
- Chris Parton did a solid interview with Nick 13 about his self-titled country record.
- Help Stephen Parry with his documentary The Hayloft Gang: The Story of the National Barn Dance. At least watch the trailer.
- Colt Ford and special guests Rhett Akins, Jason Aldean, Dallas Davidson, Mike Dekel, Edwin McCain, and James Otto are playing a benefit show on Tuesday, August 16 in Athens, GA. Proceeds go to the family of deceased police officer Elmer “Buddy” Christian and injured officer Tony Howard.
- Charlie Cushman has left Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper to focus on his banjo setup business.
- Guitarist and Fabulous Superlative Kenny Vaughan will be releasing solo debut V on September 13.
- Willie Nelson will be inducted into the Agricultural Hall of Fame next month.
- Album Releases
Jason Michael Carroll — Numbers (a Cracker Barrel exclusive)
- If the Preservation Hall Jazz Band/Del McCoury Band performance on Letterman last week was past your bedtime, check it out now.
- Juli Thanki: You know it!
- bob: The only one of these that I've seen before is the Columbo episode. As far as the future post on …
- Arlene: I'm very happy that Compass Records will be releasing a tribute disc in which artists cover songs of Jean Ritchie …
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!