New Country Music Fest Comes to Vegas; CCMA Award Nominations Announced; Justin Townes Earle Covers “Glory Days”
- Chuck Dauphin makes a case for Don Rich’s Hall of Fame induction. (h/t A.B.)
- Lucinda Williams’ forthcoming double album, Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone will include a song called “Compassion” that’s an expansion of this poem of the same name written by her father, poet Miller Williams:
Have compassion for everyone you meet,
even if they don’t want it. What seems conceit,
bad manners, or cynicism is always a sign
of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen.
You do not know what wars are going on
down there where the spirit meets the bone.
- Eric Banister interviewed Jonathan Bernstein, whose new ebook, Sweet Home Everywhere, examines the musical and cultural impact of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama.” Music Tomes is also giving away a copy of the book, so go enter that contest.
- Randy Fox of the Nashville Scene positively reviewed Bear Family box set The Other Side of Bakersfield: 1950s and ‘60s Boppers and Rockers from “Nashville West.”
- American Songwriter compiled a photo gallery of Nashville’s music scene that includes shots of the Bluebird, RCA Studio B, Gruhn Guitars, and The Station Inn.
- Nominees for the 2014 Canadian Country Music Association Awards were announced. Brett Kissel is nominated for seven awards, and Lindi Ortega’s up for Female Artist of the Year and Roots Artist of the Year. Check out the full list here.
- Folk-rock band Heaven’s Jail released a video for their song “Suicide.”
- Kelley Mickwee (whose fine new solo album comes out next week) on the future of The Trishas: “We are unsure. We know that we want to do something together again, but we didn’t put a time on it. We told each other that we would check back with each other in a year or so. We will see where everyone is in their lives. We will see if making another record is something we are able to do at that time or not. I realize that is kind of a crappy answer. It’s the truth. I think there is a future, but we are all unsure of when that will be.”
- Entertainment Weekly premiered Justin Townes Earle’s version of “Glory Days” from Dead Man’s Town, an upcoming Americana compilation paying tribute to Springsteen’s Born in the USA.
- Nathan Zeender, head brewer of the Right Proper Brewing Company in DC, has created a “No Depression” beer.
- Vegas will host the first Route 91 Harvest Festival from October 3-5. Miranda Lambert, Dierks Bentley, and Dwight Yoakam are a few of the acts scheduled to perform.
- Paste published a lengthy interview with Candi Staton.
- BlogTO published a post on Toronto’s top five alt-country bands to keep an eye on, including The Lovelocks, Kayla Howran and Animal Parts.
- Filmmaker Matthew Pellowski tells Bluegrass Today that he hopes to have his Dave Evans documentary, Last of the Breed, out by the end of the year.
- The Bluegrass Situation looks at six great murder ballads, including “Stagger Lee” and “Where Did You Sleep Last Night.”
- NPR is offering free downloads of songs by Newport Folk Fest performers Caitlin Rose, Benjamin Booker, Anais Mitchell & Jefferson Hamer, and others.
- Gary Louris discusses the recent Jayhawks reissues in this Houston Press feature.
- Here’s an American Songwriter article on the Welcome to 1979 Studio, an analog-heavy Nashville studio that’s also one of a few places in the country that cuts its own vinyl masters.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …