New Billy Joe Shaver Album in the Works; Lee Kernaghan Leads CMAA Nominations; Music Videos
- Tongue-in-cheek genius Peter Cooper of The Tennessean has declared himself “Commissioner of Country Music,” which gives him governing powers over the entire industry. Commissioner Cooper then calls for Lee Ann Womack to be returned to radio playlists and for party/truck songs to be banned.
- Jon Bream of the Minneapolis Star Tribune thinks Brad Paisley’s tour needs a reboot.
- The finalists for the 42nd Annual Country Music Awards of Australia, aka the Golden Guitars, have been announced. Lee Kernaghan leads the nominees with seven nods.
- Craig Shelburne brings us Eric Clapton and Vince Gill trading off licks on “Lay Down Sally” over on CMT Edge.
- Sheryl Crow stopped by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last Thursday to play “Callin’ Me When I’m Lonely” with some help from The Roots. Watch here.
- Rosanne Cash is unveiling album art from her January 2014 release, The River and the Thread, on her Instagram account.
- Bill Anderson wrote a cool and heartfelt letter thanking a Columbia Star reporter for writing a story that hit close to home.
- Sara Evans hosted HGTV at her house for an episode of Celebrities at Home.
- The formidable C.M. Wilcox put together this week’s Quotable Country over at Country California.
- Sony Music has sued United Airlines for offering copyrighted music, including Carrie Underwood’s, on its flights without the proper licensing.
- Eric Church says, “Genres are dead.”
- Hunter Hayes has written over 60 songs for his next project.
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill have had to deny the divorce rumors dogging the couple.
- Saving Country Music has the details on the upcoming Billy Joe Shaver album, his first in over seven years.
- John Michael Montgomery has a greatest hits project in the works with a duet of “I Swear” with All4One included.
- New Rascal Flatts music exists.
- Jamie Lynn Spears, sister to Britney, is currently working on her debut country music album.
- And because neon and country music go hand-in-hand: The Museum of Neon Art broke ground in its new home of Glendale last week.
- New music videos and live performances from the past week or two:
Luke Bryan – “That’s My Kind of Night”
Brandy Clark – “What’ll Keep Me Out Of Heaven”
Cole Swindell – “Chillin’ It”
Sundy Best – “These Days”
The Devil Makes Three – “Stranger”
Corb Lund and Hayes Carll – “Bible on the Dash”
Lindi Ortega – “Tin Star”
Brian Wright – “We Don’t Live There”
Corey Smith – “Ain’t Going Out Tonight”
Jasmine Rae – “Just Don’t Ask Me How I Am”
Amos Lee – “Chill in the Air”
Keith Urban and Miranda Lambert – “We Were Us”
Jason Aldean – “When She Says Baby”
Billy Currington – “We Are Tonight”
Jake Owen – “Beachin’”
Del McCoury Band – “Quicksburg Rendezvous” (live at the Grand Ole Opry)
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …
- Russ Morris: My introduction to Dwight was This Time. Every song on that album is my favorite. I'm playing 3 Pears in …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Favorite Dwight Yoakam song? Too darn tough to choose! I do love his second Greatest Hits album, though, featuring his …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …