New Billy Joe Shaver Album in the Works; Lee Kernaghan Leads CMAA Nominations; Music Videos
- Tongue-in-cheek genius Peter Cooper of The Tennessean has declared himself “Commissioner of Country Music,” which gives him governing powers over the entire industry. Commissioner Cooper then calls for Lee Ann Womack to be returned to radio playlists and for party/truck songs to be banned.
- Jon Bream of the Minneapolis Star Tribune thinks Brad Paisley’s tour needs a reboot.
- The finalists for the 42nd Annual Country Music Awards of Australia, aka the Golden Guitars, have been announced. Lee Kernaghan leads the nominees with seven nods.
- Craig Shelburne brings us Eric Clapton and Vince Gill trading off licks on “Lay Down Sally” over on CMT Edge.
- Sheryl Crow stopped by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last Thursday to play “Callin’ Me When I’m Lonely” with some help from The Roots. Watch here.
- Rosanne Cash is unveiling album art from her January 2014 release, The River and the Thread, on her Instagram account.
- Bill Anderson wrote a cool and heartfelt letter thanking a Columbia Star reporter for writing a story that hit close to home.
- Sara Evans hosted HGTV at her house for an episode of Celebrities at Home.
- The formidable C.M. Wilcox put together this week’s Quotable Country over at Country California.
- Sony Music has sued United Airlines for offering copyrighted music, including Carrie Underwood’s, on its flights without the proper licensing.
- Eric Church says, “Genres are dead.”
- Hunter Hayes has written over 60 songs for his next project.
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill have had to deny the divorce rumors dogging the couple.
- Saving Country Music has the details on the upcoming Billy Joe Shaver album, his first in over seven years.
- John Michael Montgomery has a greatest hits project in the works with a duet of “I Swear” with All4One included.
- New Rascal Flatts music exists.
- Jamie Lynn Spears, sister to Britney, is currently working on her debut country music album.
- And because neon and country music go hand-in-hand: The Museum of Neon Art broke ground in its new home of Glendale last week.
- New music videos and live performances from the past week or two:
Luke Bryan – “That’s My Kind of Night”
Brandy Clark – “What’ll Keep Me Out Of Heaven”
Cole Swindell – “Chillin’ It”
Sundy Best – “These Days”
The Devil Makes Three – “Stranger”
Corb Lund and Hayes Carll – “Bible on the Dash”
Lindi Ortega – “Tin Star”
Brian Wright – “We Don’t Live There”
Corey Smith – “Ain’t Going Out Tonight”
Jasmine Rae – “Just Don’t Ask Me How I Am”
Amos Lee – “Chill in the Air”
Keith Urban and Miranda Lambert – “We Were Us”
Jason Aldean – “When She Says Baby”
Billy Currington – “We Are Tonight”
Jake Owen – “Beachin’”
Del McCoury Band – “Quicksburg Rendezvous” (live at the Grand Ole Opry)
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …