New Billy Joe Shaver Album in the Works; Lee Kernaghan Leads CMAA Nominations; Music Videos
- Tongue-in-cheek genius Peter Cooper of The Tennessean has declared himself “Commissioner of Country Music,” which gives him governing powers over the entire industry. Commissioner Cooper then calls for Lee Ann Womack to be returned to radio playlists and for party/truck songs to be banned.
- Jon Bream of the Minneapolis Star Tribune thinks Brad Paisley’s tour needs a reboot.
- The finalists for the 42nd Annual Country Music Awards of Australia, aka the Golden Guitars, have been announced. Lee Kernaghan leads the nominees with seven nods.
- Craig Shelburne brings us Eric Clapton and Vince Gill trading off licks on “Lay Down Sally” over on CMT Edge.
- Sheryl Crow stopped by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last Thursday to play “Callin’ Me When I’m Lonely” with some help from The Roots. Watch here.
- Rosanne Cash is unveiling album art from her January 2014 release, The River and the Thread, on her Instagram account.
- Bill Anderson wrote a cool and heartfelt letter thanking a Columbia Star reporter for writing a story that hit close to home.
- Sara Evans hosted HGTV at her house for an episode of Celebrities at Home.
- The formidable C.M. Wilcox put together this week’s Quotable Country over at Country California.
- Sony Music has sued United Airlines for offering copyrighted music, including Carrie Underwood’s, on its flights without the proper licensing.
- Eric Church says, “Genres are dead.”
- Hunter Hayes has written over 60 songs for his next project.
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill have had to deny the divorce rumors dogging the couple.
- Saving Country Music has the details on the upcoming Billy Joe Shaver album, his first in over seven years.
- John Michael Montgomery has a greatest hits project in the works with a duet of “I Swear” with All4One included.
- New Rascal Flatts music exists.
- Jamie Lynn Spears, sister to Britney, is currently working on her debut country music album.
- And because neon and country music go hand-in-hand: The Museum of Neon Art broke ground in its new home of Glendale last week.
- New music videos and live performances from the past week or two:
Luke Bryan – “That’s My Kind of Night”
Brandy Clark – “What’ll Keep Me Out Of Heaven”
Cole Swindell – “Chillin’ It”
Sundy Best – “These Days”
The Devil Makes Three – “Stranger”
Corb Lund and Hayes Carll – “Bible on the Dash”
Lindi Ortega – “Tin Star”
Brian Wright – “We Don’t Live There”
Corey Smith – “Ain’t Going Out Tonight”
Jasmine Rae – “Just Don’t Ask Me How I Am”
Amos Lee – “Chill in the Air”
Keith Urban and Miranda Lambert – “We Were Us”
Jason Aldean – “When She Says Baby”
Billy Currington – “We Are Tonight”
Jake Owen – “Beachin’”
Del McCoury Band – “Quicksburg Rendezvous” (live at the Grand Ole Opry)
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.