Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Honors Inductees; Nick Curran Passes Away; Album Releases
- Rockabilly artist Nick Curran passed away at the age of 35 after a battle with oral cancer.
- The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Dinner and Induction Ceremony was held on Sunday night. Honorees included Mary Chapin Carpenter, Tony Arata, Larry Henley, and Kim Williams. Edward Morris recapped the event for CMT.
- Here’s “Holy Cross,” a cut from The Old 97s’ 15th anniversary deluxe edition of Too Far to Care.
- This week’s edition of Quotable Country includes Blake Shelton, Charley Pride, Jerry Douglas, and more.
- Stream Lori McKenna’s new EP, Heart Shaped Bullet Hole, on Parenting.com.
- Rita Ballou is our hero of the day: [W]hile we’re putting on our big-girl panties and growing the heck up already, can’t we give the whole “Nashville Sucks” thing a rest, too? Because we’ve been on that bandwagon forever, and I think we’ve ridden it as far as it goes…I hate to break this to you, but we’ve got LOTS of bad music being made right here in our own backyard. And sure as “something you wouldn’t wanna step into out in the cow field,” there’s as much of that shit stinking up the Texas Music Chart as there there is on mainstream country radio. Bad music is bad music no matter where it’s made, and by no means is all of it being cranked out on Music Row.
- The Band Perry, Eric Church, Kenny Chesney, and Carrie Underwood have been added to the CMA Awards’ lineup of performers.
- The Railroad Revival Tour has been canceled.
- Masters of Bluegrass (Del McCoury, Bobby Osborne, JD Crowe, Bobby Hicks, and Jerry McCoury), a supergroup that played the IBMA Awards, are planning on playing shows in 2013.
- Tickets for George Strait’s “The Cowboy Rides Away” Tour go on sale to the general public on October 12.
- Universal Records has renewed its joint-venture agreement with Toby Keith’s Show Dog Records.
- Watch the Nashville pilot episode on Hulu.
- Stream the new Old Time Machine album here.
- Jewly Hight interviewed singer-songwriter-producer-author Charlie Peacock for CMT Edge.
- Music City Roots kicks off its third season tomorrow.
- Chris Thile talks with Paste about his MacArthur grant, and reveals that his quote in an AP article about plans for a bluegrass chamber music project was a mix-up. An excerpt from the Paste article: “I feel like [musical genres are] a completely antiquated notion and one that only has a negative influence on the creation of meaningful music,” Thile said. “I would love to make a record with all the people that I have run into that really, really inspire me, that just drag music out of me, I love that feeling like music is almost just pouring out of you because of what musicians you are around cause you feel.”
- Watch the EPK for Jamey Johnson’s Hank Cochran tribute album, Living for a Song.
- Photographer Jim McGuire was featured in the Tennessean.
- Congratulations to the winner of our Cajun Country Revival giveaway: Russ Morris. Check your email, Russ.
- This week’s album releases:
Wanda Jackson – Unfinished Business
Lori McKenna – Heart Shaped Bullet Hole
Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs – Sunday Run Me Over
Tim O’Brien & Darrell Scott – We’re Usually a Lot Better Than This
Old 97s – Too Far to Care: Deluxe Edition
Bob Wills – 24 Greatest Hits (now in MP3 format)
Bonnie Bishop – Free
Ronnie Fauss – I Am the Man You Know I’m Not
Delta Reign – Calm Before the Storm
Kenny Rogers – Amazing Grace
Aaron Watson – Real Good Time
Daniel Bachman – Seven Pines