Nashville Radio Station WSM Heads ‘Back to the Barn’
- WSM, the radio station in Tennessee that’s famous for it’s exclusive broadcasts of the Grand Ole Opry, is introducing a live variety show called Back to the Barn, which borrows its name from the Opry’s original moniker, WSM Barn Dance. The new show will target a younger audience by showcasing music “from country and Americana to more progressive interpreters of tradition,” in other words, “old school entertainment for the digital age.” It will debut on Feb. 20 and broadcast live on Friday nights from 10 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. from the stage of the Wildhorse Saloon in downtown Nashville.
- In the new episode of Nashville at Nite, Randy Houser talks about his tender love ballads about women’s behinds and asks host Ashlie Kolb if she likes her apples waxed.
- The title for Keith Urban‘s March 31st release will be Defying Gravity.
- Since undergoing lung surgery, Merle Haggard says “I feel like I’ve extended my life. I’m in better shape than when I went in.” With that renewed health, he’s back to writing songs, the latest of which was inspired by Obama.
- Watch the video for Mike Runnels‘ “Last Date,” a salute to the musical spirit and style of pianist Floyd Cramer.
- The Austin American-Statesman‘s Michael Corcoran on the new Dierks Bentley album:
[Feel That Fire], which hits stores Feb. 3, is a more organic-sounding album than his previous three, which sported five No. 1 country singles. Although his looks and voice are mainstream country, Bentley’s musical sensibilities are at the midpoint between Nashville’s marketing machine and Austin’s “for the sake of the song” lean. With its bedrock of subtle banjo and flights of pedal steel, “Feel the Fire” uses traditional instruments in new and interesting ways.
- No matter how many times I’ve seen it, Jim McGuire’s photography never gets old.
- Ray Wylie Hubbard is one of the writers on Last Rites of Ransom Pride, a movie starring Kris Kristofferson and Dwight Yoakam that Hubbard describes as “a bunch of despicable people cussin’ and killin’ each other in Texas and Mexico in 1911.” It’s still in production, but Hubbard discusses the film in an interview with Music Fog’s Jessie Scott and performs a song from the soundtrack titled “Black Wings.”
- Delbert McClinton names Willie Nelson‘s “Night Life” as a song he wishes he had written. (via Still Is Still Moving)
- Lady Antebellum performs an acoustic version of their new single “I Run To You” and the group’s members talk about the song’s background in their new webisode.
- In her interview with The Wenatchee World Online staff writer Jefferson Robbins, LeAnn Rimes talks about the music she’s been listening to lately, notably absent of country, her thoughts on her last album and her upcoming album, and her struggle to have the country genre embrace her. (via ggcolumn)
- Blake Shelton will be joining George Strait on his tour that kicks off in May.
- Watch Randy Rogers perform an acoustic version of “Ft. Worth Was a Fabulous Waste of Time,” a song he co-wrote with Guy Clark that didn’t make his most recent album.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.