MySpace Signs Country Artist; Johnny Cash Graphic Novel; Gary Floater Harnesses YouTube
- MySpace Records Artist Development signed its first country artist, KJ Testin (MySpace). (via Nashville Gab)
- Rosanne Cash will be the subject of the Americana Music Association’s Festival and Conference 2009 Keynote Interview.
- Mallary Hope‘s “Love Lives On” is the iTunes free single of the week. (iTunes)
- Country Haiku:
Big Bad John has died
This is why we need OSHA
This mine is not safe
- Abrams ComicArts will introduce Johnny Cash: I See a Darkness, a new comic book/graphic novel based on the life of Johnny Cash, in November.
- 20 Questions with Wayne Hancock
- Big D and Bubba from Nashville’s WSIX set Jake Owen‘s brother up with a date. Talk about awkward.
- Former Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach, and the second-season winner of Gone Country, is going country. (via ninebullets.net)
- Drawing 50 banjos.
- With Reba McEntire’s new “Keep On Loving You” perched atop the Billboard 200, country music claims the top spot for the third week in a row. Despite multiple appearance at the top of the country charts, this is only the second time McEntire has scored a No. 1 on Billboard’s main chart.
- Edd Hurt profiled Paul Burch, who plays at The Basement in Nashville tonight, for Nashville Scene and coincidentally, Music Fog posted video of Burch performing “Montreal.”
- Country California may or may not have the inside scoop on Shania Twain‘s much anticipated announcement:
Five years after her collaboration with then-newcomer Billy Currington resulted in her last top ten single, Twain recently headed into the studio with up-and-comers Love & Theft, whose fresh-faced three-part harmony is sweeping the nation on the heels of their Tuesday album release, to remake the song as “Party for Four.” The move has Nashville insiders buzzing.
- New blog alert: Sounds Country
- Jacksonville’s country station WQIK is giving away a Wurlitzer jukebox, an autographed George Strait box set of Strait Out of the Box, and Strait’s catalog.
- The Gary Floater story made its way to YouTube!
- Paul W Dennis: Tom T & Dixie Hall are good people and I wish them all the best through this difficult time
- Paul W Dennis: Actually , it is not. We have so thoroughly debased our language that it is no longer possible to praise …
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …