MySpace Signs Country Artist; Johnny Cash Graphic Novel; Gary Floater Harnesses YouTube
- MySpace Records Artist Development signed its first country artist, KJ Testin (MySpace). (via Nashville Gab)
- Rosanne Cash will be the subject of the Americana Music Association’s Festival and Conference 2009 Keynote Interview.
- Mallary Hope‘s “Love Lives On” is the iTunes free single of the week. (iTunes)
- Country Haiku:
Big Bad John has died
This is why we need OSHA
This mine is not safe
- Abrams ComicArts will introduce Johnny Cash: I See a Darkness, a new comic book/graphic novel based on the life of Johnny Cash, in November.
- 20 Questions with Wayne Hancock
- Big D and Bubba from Nashville’s WSIX set Jake Owen‘s brother up with a date. Talk about awkward.
- Former Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach, and the second-season winner of Gone Country, is going country. (via ninebullets.net)
- Drawing 50 banjos.
- With Reba McEntire’s new “Keep On Loving You” perched atop the Billboard 200, country music claims the top spot for the third week in a row. Despite multiple appearance at the top of the country charts, this is only the second time McEntire has scored a No. 1 on Billboard’s main chart.
- Edd Hurt profiled Paul Burch, who plays at The Basement in Nashville tonight, for Nashville Scene and coincidentally, Music Fog posted video of Burch performing “Montreal.”
- Country California may or may not have the inside scoop on Shania Twain‘s much anticipated announcement:
Five years after her collaboration with then-newcomer Billy Currington resulted in her last top ten single, Twain recently headed into the studio with up-and-comers Love & Theft, whose fresh-faced three-part harmony is sweeping the nation on the heels of their Tuesday album release, to remake the song as “Party for Four.” The move has Nashville insiders buzzing.
- New blog alert: Sounds Country
- Jacksonville’s country station WQIK is giving away a Wurlitzer jukebox, an autographed George Strait box set of Strait Out of the Box, and Strait’s catalog.
- The Gary Floater story made its way to YouTube!
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.