Most Played Single of the Decade Belongs to Tim McGraw; Johnny Cash’s ‘American VI’ Rumored For February
- I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday break and didn’t miss us too much. Although Christmas is over, lists are not (as you’ll notice in the news), and neither is our Big Christmas Giveaway, so be sure to enter before the new year if you’d like to be one of the 25 lucky winners.
- The most played single of the decade out of any musical genre belongs to Tim McGraw for “Something Like That.”
- Walt Wilkins almost-one-of-a-kind guitar (only Willie Nelson and Dan Rather have one like it) was stolen recently at the Saxon Pub in Austin and he needs your help getting it back.
- String Theory Media’s Craig Havighurst revisited and shared his insight into some of his favorite albums of the year.
The Americana Music Association posted a list of the top 100 Americana albums of year with the top 10 listed below:
- Buddy & Julie Miller – Written In Chalk
- Steve Earle – Townes
- Slaid Cleaves – Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away
- Flatlanders – Hills And Valleys
- Willie Nelson and Asleep At The Wheel – Willie and the Wheel
- Gourds – Haymaker!
- Tejas Brothers – Tejas Brothers
- Levon Helm – Electric Dirt
- Justin Townes Earle – Midnight At the Movies
- J.J.Cale – Roll On
The full list can be downloaded on the AMA’s website in the right hand column.
- Martina McBride designed a toilet seat with the title of her song “This One’s For the Girls” as part of a promotion for Charmin.
- In a brief interview with Austin Music Source’s Brian T. Atkinson, Hayes Carll described his new record, which he hopes to have completed before New Year’s Eve: “There’s a lot of flavor and color, and (it’s) all over the map – funny stuff, straight-up rock, more soulful things, real trucker country boogies.”
- And in a separate article, he explained the story behind and ramifications of writing the song “She Left Me For Jesus.”
‘I did get a lot of grief over it. But I was always of the mindset that if people didn’t get what I was trying to say, there wasn’t much hope for them and me anyway. So, it didn’t bother me too much. It did bother me when people thought I was anti-Semitic or anti-Christian because of the lyrics. I thought it was pretty clear that I wasn’t poking fun at the religion but at the redneck who had a problem with these things.
- Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?
- Texas Music Matters chose Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis‘ “Baby It’s Cold Outside” as the Christmas day song of the day.
- The Cherryholmes are scheduled to start the new year recording their fourth album.
- Rumor has it that a new posthumous release from Johnny Cash, American VI: Ain’t No Grave, will be released come February.
- Country Universe capped its countdown of the 201 greatest singles of the decade with the top 20.
Music Fog videos:
- Craig Shelburne listed a dozen of his favorite albums from the past decade.
- Gary Allan‘s new disc, Get Off On the Pain, will be released March 9.
- Chet Flippo shared Willie Nelson‘s inspiration behind the song “Pretty Paper” in last week’s Nashville Skyline column.
He was a man who had lost both his legs above the knee and — in those pre-miracle artificial limbs days — had his leg stumps covered with heavy leather padding and wore thick gloves to pull and slide and scoot his way up and down the sidewalk by the palms of his hands and on his stumps.
He sold pencils from a tin cup affixed to his back and also peddled paper and ribbons at Christmas time, as I recall.
- Jimmy Fallon‘s Christmas song: “Drunk On Christmas.”
- Farce the Music’s favorite songs of ’09.
- Dave D.: I never expected to see a shout out to the Cameron Family Singers today (or any day, for that matter). …
- nm: Duncan Cooper is not wrong.
- bob: Re Herndon, O'Neal & Griggs touring together, Herndon's "Lies I Told Myself Album" includes a duet with O'Neal, "I Can't". …
- luckyoldsun: Looks like CMT is pulling a "surprise" for its Artists' Choice countdown. They're coming up on #2 but there are …
- Jim Z: " Luke Bryan (Best Country Male Artist), Brantley Gilbert’s Just as I Am (Best Country Album), Carrie Underwood (Best Country …
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …